Welcome, Guest!

The East Dulwich Forum is an online community to discuss anything and everything about SE22. We were established all the way back in 2006! You can find more information about us here.

It looks like you're not registered. If you want to sign up, please click this link.

Bilbao

The place to relax and chat about anything. Feel free to discuss the price of fish, music issues, share gardening tips
siousxiesue

Keen to visit the Guggenheim, has anyone any experience of taking a ferry? Heard at certain times of year you can see sealife such as whales.

We wouldn't be taking a car with us.
Seabag

It's long and expensive. But it's a trip I'd love to take.

I looked last year and decided to fly in, but I'd thought of taking the van, so not sure of costs for foot passengers. Keep us posted.
siousxiesue

Seabag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's long and expensive. But it's a trip I'd love
> to take.
>
> I looked last year and decided to fly in, but I'd
> thought of taking the van, so not sure of costs
> for foot passengers. Keep us posted.

Seabag how did you find accommodation and was it close to the gallery?
Seabag

siousxiesue Wrote:
> Seabag Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's long and expensive. But it's a trip I'd
> love
> > to take.
> >
> > I looked last year and decided to fly in, but
> I'd
> > thought of taking the van, so not sure of costs
> > for foot passengers. Keep us posted.
>
> Seabag how did you find accommodation and was it
> close to the gallery?

Well it was a bit of a change of plan. Basically I ended up having to attend a meeting in Madrid two days before, so I caught the Madrid to San Sebastien train after instead of driving via Bilbao instead.

This is a 5 hr journey and I got on without any cash but had my cards. Anyway I had a lovely window seat and went to grab some breakfast, only to find my cards we're not accepted or going through even tho I had money on them. Not great at 8:00 am but hey, I had water. However, a very nice man who was with his family paid for my breakfast and coffee. He spoke great English and we chatted and I thanked him and it turns out he's working at the ministry of fianance in Madrid. So all vey kind.

Tomorrow I fly to Madrid and we're meeting up for breakfast later this week so I can repay the compliment and it's a very nice thing to be able to do.

So the long and the short is I never got to Bilbao, but the rest of the trip was great fun. And who know but I might end up making friends with the guy and his family.

I travel in Spain a fair bit of late, if I'm driving I head generally where I'm after and use google maps for hotels nearby. It's random but works a treat or Air BnB.
rendelharris

siousxiesue Wrote:
> Keen to visit the Guggenheim, has anyone any
> experience of taking a ferry? Heard at certain
> times of year you can see sealife such as whales.
>
> We wouldn't be taking a car with us.

Looked into this a couple of years back but couldn't afford it during school holiday peak fares season - yes you can see whales and dolphins if you're lucky, mates have done it and seen both. The ferry to Bilbao won't take bicycles or foot passengers, bizarrely! But what you can do is take a ferry to Santander (?140 return out of school holidays) and from there get a three hour train to Bilbao for ?8 or ninety minute bus for ?6.
KidKruger

"three hour train to Bilbao for ?8"

wow - imagine living in a country where a simple 3hr train journey doesn't cost like ?40 !
JohnL

The Barcelona to Madrid train is the only one I've taken - more expensive - but so fast :)
rendelharris

Long, long time ago (but I can still remember...) I caught a train from Valencia to Calais, changing at Hendaye and Paris, and it cost me less than it cost to get back to Cambridge from Dover via London. And you could get really good wine on the train for next to nothing...
jacks09

San Sebastien is my favourite place