Reopening - please be patient

Reopening is a step in the right direction but there is still some way to go.

Support local businesses but bear in mind they have been closed for months and have rules to follow. If you?ve booked to sit outside a pub or restaurant wrap up well and don?t just not turn up. They will be counting on that custom.

When you go to some of the things reopening today please be kind to staff - it could well be their first day back at work in a long time and things will be different for them too.

If things take longer be patient - in order to open they have to follow guidelines and things may take longer but they are for everyone?s safety.

The government mantra has changed to Hands / Face / Space / Fresh air. Lets all do our bit so the next stage of reopening can take place in May as planned. It?s inevitable cases will rise as more people meet but hopefully following the rules for a few more months will mean further opening up can go ahead.

Well said.

My first day back with the public tomorrow and to say I'm nervous is an understatement!

The thing I'm most dreading is the people who because they can shop in a store again feel its ok not to wear a mask.

Its bad enough on the tube with so many not bothering to obey the rules I think West end shops will be full of idiots thinking everything is 'normal'

AylwardS Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hope your first day goes ok and most people are

> ok.

Thank-you!

Its quite a shock to the system suddenly seeing so many people and as expected very many seemed to think the Pandemic is over and not bothering with masks in the shops-So disrespectful.

Shop staff (like myself) HAVE to wear masks to protect the customers but sadly nobody thinks about us or our families especially when many of us haven't had the 'luxury' of working from home but have had to work throughout EVERY lockdown supporting online business and click and collect.

Sometimes the selfishness of some members of the public saddens me.

Sue Wrote:

> Sending hugs, NewWave.

>

> Does the shop where you work not ask customers to

> wear masks?

Yes They do-and we have security on the door telling them to wear a mask and sanitise their hands.

However once inside the mask goes down or gets removed and we dont have enough security staff to approach every person and tell them to put masks back on.

We have been advised not to ask customers to put their masks on because a customer became very abusive to a staff member and threatened him (the customer got ejected by security because of his behaviour-shouting and yelling at the staff member and telling him he couldn't tell him what do and he'd get him sacked etc) People can be selfish and horrible forgetting that very many shop staff had to work throughout the pandemic and were a sort of 'key worker' meeting their needs for food or non essential goods all the while mindful that over 100.000 retail workers have been made redundant in the pandemic.

Sorry to moan-I'm lucky to have a job but I do wish people were more respectful of those in service industries.

We have families and loved ones we haven't been able to see and many of us are carers and single parents

Ditto Security are just doing their job.

None of us earn a fortune we are there to serve and help you not put our health and that of our loved ones at risk by doing so.

If you are heading out for the first time this weekend be kind to those serving you. As said they also have families / have been affected by restrictions.

We?ve all seen reports of queues / places taking more than they normally would. That means people who haven?t worked for a while are working hard and adjusting to new Covid measures. Hats off to them, I know moving less during lockdown means I?m not going to be up for walking round all day as I did before.

If you are asked to queue / wear a mask / socially distance do it politely. You won?t be the only one the member of staff has to remind.

If you are working today keep smiling. Something someone told me for interviews might help - have something that makes you smile. Put a picture as the Home Screen on your phone? Look at pictures / videos in your break. If you?ve no time for that smile behind your mask - apparently smiling releases chemicals that make us happy.

Have a good day and stay safe.

NewWave Wrote:

> We have been advised not to ask customers to put

> their masks on because a customer became very

> abusive to a staff member and threatened him (the

> customer got ejected by security because of his

> behaviour-shouting and yelling at the staff member

> and telling him he couldn't tell him what do and

> he'd get him sacked etc)

It makes me so sad and angry to read that. After the past year, some people are still pushing back on taking basic precautions. Not only are they endangering themselves and others, there's a high chance that this ridiculous attitude is going to push our country back into lockdown. It's just so selfish and ignorant. And unfortunately unsurprising to hear that these individuals are also of an aggressive persuasion.

I am still avoiding shops when I can (and pubs, depsite the outdoors seating) because for me it seems like an unnecessary risk at a crucial time. But you deserve respect for the work you are doing.. wishing you and your shop a pleasant and successful weekend.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> NewWave Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > We have been advised not to ask customers to

> put

> > their masks on because a customer became very

> > abusive to a staff member and threatened him

> (the

> > customer got ejected by security because of his

> > behaviour-shouting and yelling at the staff

> member

> > and telling him he couldn't tell him what do

> and

> > he'd get him sacked etc)

>

> It makes me so sad and angry to read that. After

> the past year, some people are still pushing back

> on taking basic precautions. Not only are they

> endangering themselves and others, there's a high

> chance that this ridiculous attitude is going to

> push our country back into lockdown. It's just so

> selfish and ignorant. And unfortunately

> unsurprising to hear that these individuals are

> also of an aggressive persuasion.

>

> I am still avoiding shops when I can (and pubs,

> depsite the outdoors seating) because for me it

> seems like an unnecessary risk at a crucial time.

> But you deserve respect for the work you are

> doing.. wishing you and your shop a pleasant and

> successful weekend.

Thank you so much for these posts.

My friend sent me a picture of the crowds outside Harrods today- it was mind-blowing and actually quite scary everyone in massive crowd no social distancing no masks.

And the annoying thing is that the Government allow shops to reopen but not theatres and cinemas where so much has been done to socially distance the seats and limit the amount of people allowed in.

Baring in mind that many people who work in the theatre will not have received any furlough money because of the nature of their contracts and work.