Clothes for Causes any info

Sazzle30

Hi

Being a bargain hunter I popped into Clothes for Causes. It looks like they are trying to emulate the Mary Portas Save the Children shop on LL. I asked what charity they supported they didn't really give a concise answer, they said 'er some local charities and those food banks..'

I googled them but could find anything about them or their charities, anyone know more?

I got the same answer from the shop opposite Forest Hill Pools - just that they supported local causes. So after spending ?20 there, I asked if they'd put up a poster advertising our primary school's summer fair, (the school is about 5 roads away). The poster never went up so obviously they don't support that kind of cause! I'd be interested to know too. The one opposite Forest Hill pools doesn't have a changing room either which I think is kind of odd in a clothes shop...

Yes, all a bit strange. Basic search says company set up this year as Clothes for Causes Eltham Ltd. can't find any further info on them. Don't they have to have a registered charity number? Strange. Not been in there and not my sort of place.

There's a notice in the window of the shop which explains how they intend to operate.

It says that the shop has been set up by a group of people who have previously worked in charity shops and that they intend to support local charities.I think it then goes on to say that they're open to approaches from any local charity wanting support - although they don't say how they will arrive at whatever they decide to donate

I happen to work in the charitable sector and I think there's a great deal to be said for raising money for local causes. Large national charities are very good at getting all the limelight, but small local ones,which are often closer to the "front line",just don't get heard.

It takes a bit of courage to go local and not just support the usual suspects. Pret A Manger, for example, used to support Crisis at Christmas but over the last couple of years have been funding many local charities with whom they and their staff work - by the way I don't work for Pret!

I didn't realise there was also a branch In ED.

There is also one on Dartmouth road opposite Forest Hill pools.

Sounds like a scam to me, how come staff aren't aware of what charities are benefitting from the donations?

I remember there was once a charity shop in Maida Vale, just called 'Charity Shop' it was a registered charity If I remember correctly, but then a curious local did some research and found out that proceeds were going to some charity which was akin to the BNP. needless to say we all boycotted it.

I like to see transparency when it comes to Charitable causes

• 2 weeks later...
How do these people look themselves in the mirror each morning knowing they are using the charity tag to run a business? Disgusting and vile practice.Support the real charity shops in ED (Just dont breastfeed in them)

It depends on what model the shop is operating but some of these clothes shops pay you for clothes and still generate huge profits. You hand in your bulk clothes and get a payment by weight of clothes given in. The clothes go to charities in return for payment from the charity by the tonne.

Hence the charities benefit from cheap clothes but the business itself is not a charity and makes huge amounts of money if run efficiently.

PS: don't know if clothes for causes operates in this way, so ill pass on that one.

Crikey, a pretty quick jump from "it's not clear" to "it's a scam" and then "disgusting and vile"

10 seconds of googling suggests the director of the ltd company has worked for a couple of very well known charities so it might be wise to defer judgment

DaveR Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Crikey, a pretty quick jump from "it's not clear"

> to "it's a scam" and then "disgusting and vile"

>

> 10 seconds of googling suggests the director of

> the ltd company has worked for a couple of very

> well known charities so it might be wise to defer

> judgment

But This begs the question that If the director of the 'clothes for Causes' shops does have prior experience In this sector surely he or she realises the importance of making sure that ones staff are fully briefed as to the recipients of the moneys raised by the shop?

Theres something fishy about this.

Hello all

As the director of Clothes for Causes I want to apologise firstly for not responding sooner. Feedback is very important to us as is the general public knowing what we are trying to achieve. I hope I can answer some very important points here. There are lessons to be learnt from our perspective and believing in total transparency I will start from the beginning.

I have personally invested a large sum of an inheritance into a new venture I have extensive experience with but most importantly am hugely passionate about.

Clothes for causes was born from frustration, collectively myself and the board of trustees also with current experience within the charity sector have a vision and mission to pioneer something we think is special, unique and not being done within the charity sector currently.

We currently have three shops with plans for further openings this year, each of our shops are and will be registered in their own entities as ltd within companies house in order to safeguard Clothes for Causes. This is normal practise.

We as a 100% non profit charity are also 100% volunteer led from directorship to the volunteers running shops. We are in the process of applying for charity registration with the Charity Commission, once this process is completed as there are many factors involved we shall as any charity be able to display the number.

I am very proud of our team for what we have achieved in such a short time 3 shops in as many months, each shop within a budget of 5k using local trades and materials.

Our experience has enabled us to call on many links equally excited about our plans that have supported us with some incredible donations to start this venture, more importantly the support from the local communities in which we trade has been enormously positive and generous and well received.

What we are trying to achieve is ambitious and not easy, we want to be innovative and raise as much funds to support our local communities which we believe are forgotten. We want and are collaborating with the local authorities in the boroughs in which we reside to identify local causes wether they be charity based or individual that really need our help with no other means of support as long as they fall in line with our articles and directives to help with the relief of poverty and welfare. The funds we distribute after operating costs must not be for governance, admin but have real tangible results. We believe working in partnership with the local authority's is a more professional and authentic way to distribute funds. We also want to build a network of skilled trades wanting to donate a little time to offer their services in a voluntary capacity to our local communities which is the heart of what we aim to achieve.

As a 100% non profit charity not business, we are totally reliant on donated clothing, we do not buy clothing. We do however buy in some new goods not clothing this is no different to the major high street charities who buy in new goods to sell. It is part of an offer we believe is part of our niche of not your average charity shopping experience and in line with the charity commission regulations. We sell these goods at a much lower mark up than others. As part of our community vision we have a discount shop in Eltham which means we don't recycle clothing to the rag trade but further support our community by selling through in this format.

Our website is under construction and we are working to get this ready very soon where there will be a wealth of information and links to partnerships.

Volunteers and donations are the life blood of our charity, we know there are training issues, each volunteer is inducted fully but obviously we have work to do. Trying to explain our vision is complicated as someone mentioned earlier it would be easy to pluck a popular cause and back but that is not what we are trying to do.

I am very encouraged and humbled by the enthusiasm from the general public that want to get on board and have offered their services, even a local lawyer in East Dulwich has expressed an interest to join the board which is just fantastic and I look forward to this coming to fruition.

There are of course many things for us still to do, wether it be finishing details within the shops to printing materials detailing our vision and further information.

I welcome any feedback as we are constantly learning, as we grow we hope to get it right, our foremost thoughts are to raise as much money as we can to be the change we want to see.

I am available most days at the East Dulwich branch and can be contacted on 07447014694 at any time to answer any questions.

Kind regards.

Veronique

Can you do an idiots guide to that post in two sentences. I don't have the time to read all of that. Thx.

Only jestjng. All clear. :) But I don't think you should imply you are a charity until the charities commission has accepted you as a charity.

Until you achieve this, some people will remain sceptical. Your name looks like a stolen cast off from Help for Heroes and in not sure if it's misleading.

I wish you luck but the bottom line for me is until registered with the Charity Commission and there is information regarding which charities will be supported, basic requirements for a charity shop, I don't feel inclined to either donate or purchase. There are some causes I would chose to help without hesitation, there are others which I wouldn't. Is it legal to trade as a charity when not approved by the Charity Commission? Sorry to come over as negative, could just be your enthusiasm has made you impatient to get going.