Record store day

mancity68

I think record store day has had it's day now. It was set up with the intention of celebrating independent record stores and to get people buying vinyl again. People are buying more records now than since the 90's and record store day seems to have just become about buying a limited press to put on eBay or discogs to make quick money.

It's served its purpose and has now become a parody of itself- in my opinion.

Agree with both TJ and miga, as a vinyl buyer since 1968 and previously a record dealer for 22 years, I think it no longer serves a purpose. Limited pressings appear almost within minutes of becoming available on ebay for people looking to make a quick pound. Avoid record store day like the plague and just go vinyl hunting at your local record shop, or record fair, provided you have one of course, or jump in your car, get on a train, tube, bus or whatever and visit a vinyl emporium. You may me pleasantly surprised.

Rat records in Camberwell, but avoid Saturday mornings as that's when they put out the new stock and it's like a stampede. If you fancy going further afield, try Wanted records in Beckenham or Rollin' Records in West Wickham which is owned a and run by Steve Willis and his missus Tina. Steve has been in the business for decades and has the likes of Chris Welch, the rock writer and Mark Lamarr as regulars. His shop is a lovely place to visit. Alternatively you could try Casbah in trendy Greenwich, not my cup of tea but hey. There also have regular record fairs in Croydon and Orpington which aren't a million miles from SE London. I found a stack of stuff in mint condition for 50p and ?1 at a record fair in Kent yesterday which would normally retail for between ?8 and ?15 each, but I did have to do quite a bit of digging, but that's half the fun.

Inevitably there's a few record shops/stalls opened on rye lane- the best of which at this stage is Rye Wax in the basement of the Bussey Building. Their stock is fairly limited but there's a bit of interesting stuff. There's also one that is mainly electronic music that looks half decent- but i've forgotten which market alley it's up (off rye lane though)

Rye lane once had at least 2 shops in the 70's both just of the high street, one was at the top of Choumert Road, Rye Lane end and the other was on the corner where the fruit and veg stalls used to be, plus there was a little unit in the Arcade that sold nothing but reggae 7s in the late 60's early 70's just along from Jack who used to sell West Indian foods. Nice to know so many have kept faith with vinyl

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Reid's was the one just off Rye Lane. I loved that

> shop. The Reggae Shack in the arcade too.

REID'S that was it!!!! A girl I knew worked in their on a Saturday. It was owned by a very stern old woman who used to get quite sniffy when we went in on a Saturday and asked the girl we knew to spin a load of tunes so we could take our pick. The one in Choumert Road was in a row of shops on the left as you looked down from the Rye Lane end.

There's the stall on Northcross - got myself a few corking albums from there over the past couple of years.

Rat Records got my pounds on Saturday, including for the very fabulous Lene Lovich. Pleased with myself, but that could be the lunchtime wine.

When will there be cassette store day?

nashoi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There's an independent label fair at Spitalfields

> market which appeared to be mostly vinyl when I

> was there recently. Insanely busy on the Sat

> though.

The Independent Label Record Fair is great if you go along with an idea of what you're looking for- otherwise it can be quite daunting. It was still a good day however; particularly considering they had the brewers fayre running alongside.

An independent label fair is in peckham at the start of March, at the Peckham Pelican

https://www.facebook.com/events/1714900188736370/?ref=98

Glad I asked....

I get the 'avoid RSD' point of view. But I love it. I buy new vinyl every other week and just love record shops. RSD is just a celebration of that for me. I was one of those sad people queuing in Soho at 430am, got a stack of lovely stuff that I really wanted and will be hanging onto even though I could a) flog for ??? on eBay or b) in some cases buy for less than I paid for it - but I'll do neither because it's not about the cash.

Enjoyed hearing about some localism places I'd not heard of before from posts above and I'll check them out. And looking forward to the Pelican fair!