new car or secondhand?

oimissus

My car is on its last legs so I'm looking into this. I bought it new in 2002, it's a bottom-of-the-range Ford Ka and has lasted us very well. Is this because it was new when I bought it? What I don't know is whether to bite the bullet and fork out a similarly low-spec but slightly bigger car (probably a Fiesta) or get something a couple of years old? I've seen that you can get a new Fiesta for about ?11K, but a 3 yo one for ?8K - but would it make more sense to spend the extra money for a car that will last longer? Money is quite tight at the moment but longterm does getting a new car make more sense?

If anyone has any recommendation for make/model that would be great too? There's just me, the husband and our daughter so it doesn't need to be big, just a bit more legroom and a bigger boot than the Ka.

thanks

New car pros: No MOT for 3 years, warranty for at least 3 years, some good all in deals around, very likely low road fund licence,it's a new car!

New car cons: Depreciation.

Used car pros: Bit cheaper, maybe a warranty.

Used car cons: MOT's, possibly higher road fund licence, You don't know who owned it or how they've driven it.

Err carry on.

Yeah I think second hand is best (as long as it's not an ex fleet or hire car), for the depreciation alone.

I would have thought you should be looking at quite a bit less than 8K for a three year old Fiesta with < 30K miles.

well, I thought so too, Jeremy - that was just on a Ford dealer's site, I guess if I go through AutoExpress it should be cheaper. My Ka is the only car I've ever owned so I'm a bit in the dark - it was a long time ago!

I bought a second hand, 10 year old Ford Mondeo some years ago with 110k on the clock for ?1000. One previous owner. It's now 17 years old (1998 reg) with 140k.

Starts first time every time. Never failed an MOT, service between ?100-?300 every year depending on what needs done.

If money's tight then I would not spend more than ?3k; you'll get something in perfect condition for that price.

Get a nearly new one but from an authorised dealer of that make of car. You're much more likely to get one that has been looked after and serviced properly and you will probably be able to get a decent warranty as well.

Don't really agree with the authorised dealer recommendation, as you will pay way over the odds. All depends how much their warranty is worth to you, I guess. You can buy third party warranties and pre-purchase inspections..

i would buy a second hand car, and only think about the next 5 years at this point. That's because I genuinely believe that there is so much change in car technology at the moment - from electric to hybrids to self driving cars - that in 5 years time the traditional car may start to become obsolete and the residual value will fall through the floor.