Help! Any mechanically minded folk able to advise?

Louisa

I have a Peugeot 207 Diesel. It has been driving fine for as long as I can remember, but after letting fuel run very low and parking on a hill at a friends, the car failed to start. RAC have been out and put fuel into the engine, and primed it. It's driven off fine, parked up and gone to use it again and the engine starts for a brief moment and then just cuts out unless I'm reving her a fair bit. What on earth could this be? My husband suggested a 'filter' problem? And I've been searching online and it says it could potentially be 'air in the pipes'- but I've discounted that as I had driven it long enough after the RAC man to ensure it was running. I'm beside myself I have to be in St Mary Cray for an appointment tomorrow morning. Help!

Louisa.

Guessing, but after a while a car's fuel tank often gets a layer of gunk (rust, etc) at the bottom and letting the petrol run very low can let this gunk into your fuel pipes. So it may be you need the fuel pipes cleared.

Well that was a bloody joke. Drove to St Mary Cray, engine light comes on saying 'air pollution faulty'. Got there and came out only to struggling to get it started. So rang the RAC again and they towed me to a garage near Orpington. Those guys got it up on the ramp and had a look and said there was some sort of leak coming from under the fuel pipe which was somehow sucking air into the fuel pump. I was dubious about this analysis after what the RAC guy initially told me, but it does seem to marry up with the air in the tank issue. They couldn't fix the problem but gave me details of an independent garage which came recommended. Contacted them, but they can't see it until Thursday. Said I was welcome to drop it off at their place whenever and I'd get a free courtesy car. It's all sounding expensive. They must have seen me coming. I decided to leave it on a side street down St Mary Cray and jumped a train back as recommended above. Thanks for everyone's advise btw.

Louisa.

Don Simpson is a great mobile mechanic who would probably meet you where the car is at the moment.

020 8299 7387.

Honest, reliable, helpful and very reasonably priced. He has kept my ancient Micra on the road for some years now :)

Good luck!

Thanks Sue and jacks09. I'll certainly keep those two contacts to hand. I am booked in for a mechanic down near where I've left the car, but I won't be settling for any old quote without full knowledge of what is going to happen. If I don't get any joy, I'll get her towed back up here and contact those guys to see if they can help. What a ridiculous day. First time I've been on public transport in a long time, and was pleasantly surprised to be fair. I guess I should make more use of it!

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>If I don't

> get any joy, I'll get her towed back up here and

> contact those guys to see if they can help.

Rather than pay for a tow, Don would probably be able to come to the car and sort it there, depending on what is wrong, obviously.

Sue Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >If I don't

> > get any joy, I'll get her towed back up here

> and

> > contact those guys to see if they can help.

>

> Rather than pay for a tow, Don would probably be

> able to come to the car and sort it there,

> depending on what is wrong, obviously.

That would be even better. It all depends on what's actually wrong with it. Had a sort of half diagnosis today, but I fear it's more than a road side repair, judging on what the kwik fit chap told me. I always fear that when I go into these places they're looking at me with those 'she hasn't got a clue what she's doing we can tell her anything' eyes. That's why I try to stay with them and get as much advice as I can on the matter.

Louisa.

Lowlander Wrote:

> 1. get the train from Peckham Rye to St Mary Cray,

> around 25 minutes every 20 minutes

>

> 2. get rid of the diesel, unless you're doing +10k

> miles a year

Hmmm, well sensible advice but not what was being asked.

Here is more informed advice.

- recommendation of a good mobile mechanic - done (see further rec below)

- crap in the system, but a relatively new car so I am surprised

- Air pollution light. If you Google you will find that this confuses everyone. Peugeot have dubious electronics and diagnostics (the only thing that I agree with Clarkson on). This could apply to the need to replace or regenerate your particulate filer so I suppose that this could be related to crud in the tank increasing soot.

Always good to get a good recommendation of a mechanic. Here's mine A W Electrics

25 Scrooby St, London SE6 4JB 020 8690 7584

Louisa Wrote:

> I have a Peugeot 207 Diesel. It has been driving

> fine for as long as I can remember, but after

> letting fuel run very low and parking on a hill at

> a friends, the car failed to start. RAC have been

> out and put fuel into the engine, and primed it.

> It's driven off fine, parked up and gone to use it

> again and the engine starts for a brief moment and

> then just cuts out unless I'm reving her a fair

> bit. What on earth could this be? My husband

> suggested a 'filter' problem? And I've been

> searching online and it says it could potentially

> be 'air in the pipes'- but I've discounted that as

> I had driven it long enough after the RAC man to

> ensure it was running. I'm beside myself I have to

> be in St Mary Cray for an appointment tomorrow

> morning. Help!

>

> Louisa.

Are you being let out of East Dulwich? 'French Cars' in Clapham are good: 020 7720 9702