From 95p to ?1.18 in 6 months... Why is the price of the butter increasing so much?

Asteroidneenee

Hello dear neighbours

I have made an observation of all the food I buy everywhere since January I collected all my receipts.

The first observation is that the butter unsalted one from lidl was 0.95 in January, in March the same butter was priced at 1.09 and in June it is now 1.18...

Why do you think? I personally don't know but my friend is sure it's connected with brexit... I am not so sure because butter is still a local product... If any idea let me know I found it crazy to pay 23p more for such a product in such a short period of time.

The price of butter has done insane things in the last year. The only reasons you're only just noticing it on the high street is because the big supermarkets hedged like crazy 12-18 months ago. Wholesale butter prices have been going up for years now.

Cost of production is a major issue - for too long ignored by too many of us - plus the fact China (which previously didn't consume much dairy) is now part of the worldwide market, are the main factors. Get used to it, food prices aren't coming down (and its independent of Brexit).

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As someone who had 2 family members that were

> dairy farmers in Wiltshire put out of business in

> the 1970s I never begrudge paying more for British

> dairy produce.....

i agree, i always buy yeo valley even though it costs more than supermarket own, for that very reason.

As someone who had 2 family members that were dairy farmers in Wiltshire put out of business in the 1970s I never begrudge paying more for British dairy produce.....I agree: dairy produce, especially milk, has been too much of a loss leader for the big supermarkets for it not to be corrected somehow at some time.