Bread

heartblock

I do like a Peckham Rye loaf, buy one about once a week, but today it was not the same. Usually nutty, chewy, yummy. Today very, very sour tasting (more San Francisco sourdough)and a bit unpleasant. Is this a one off? Changed recipe? Warm weather doing something funny on the starter? I do realise it is a sourdough loaf, but not normally this sour.

heartblock Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I do like a Peckham Rye loaf, buy one about once a

> week, but today it was not the same. Usually

> nutty, chewy, yummy. Today very, very sour tasting

> (more San Francisco sourdough)and a bit

> unpleasant. Is this a one off? Changed recipe?

> Warm weather doing something funny on the starter?

> I do realise it is a sourdough loaf, but not

> normally this sour.

Well go and complain to the people you purchased it from then.

heartblock Wrote:

> Thanks FightingFit. Do you think I should write a

> letter? If so, do you have any suggestions on the

> wording and how to frame my concern? Should I

> grade the sourness from 1-10? I would appreciate

> further intellectual advice.

Up to you really

• 2 months later...

I'm pretty sure there's a more specific thread regarding my query but 'bread' will do as I can't find the other one.

For quite a while I've used a breadmaker once a week to make a loaf, which is mostly for the Mrs. The last number of weeks mould has appeared regularly and quickly. It was usually stored in a dark container. Is it the hot weather? I always use the same recipe though the flours can differ. Any suggestions as to how to stop it from happening?

Also, an ingredient is dry skimmed milk. I can't seem to find this locally anymore. Anyone know where it can be bought?

Dry skimmed milk is sold in Tesco as well as Sainsbury's and the Co-Op. Don't know if other supermarkets also have their own branded milk. It's probably all the same as Marvel anyway, only cheaper!

And yes, I buy sourdough bread and then slice (if it isn't ready sliced) and freeze it. If you open freeze it on a tray, you can then easily shove it into a bag and take out one slice at a time, or however many slices you want.

Freezing Sourdough Bread..

Tip.

There are enzymes in sourdough bread that will let you freeze and refresh a loaf once only.

To freeze your loaves, first place in a plastic bag and remove as much air as you can before sealing the bag with a knot.

Then place this bag inside another bag, preferably one of the heavy re-sealable type freezer bags.

Foxy.

I wrap our homemade loaves in linen and they don't go mouldy - they keep fresh until we've eaten it all - a good few days.

Go and tell the Brickhouse about the bread - they may have a new baker or a new recipe, but I'm sure they'll appreciate the feedback. Can't say they'll agree with you though, or maybe it's just not been right until now, and they've got it sorted (more sour)? Maybe other people loved it? They won't know if you don't tell.

Personally, I like the olive bread... have you tried that?

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Freezing Sourdough Bread..

>

> Tip.

>

> There are enzymes in sourdough bread that will let

> you freeze and refresh a loaf once only.

> To freeze your loaves, first place in a plastic

> bag and remove as much air as you can before

> sealing the bag with a knot.

> Then place this bag inside another bag, preferably

> one of the heavy re-sealable type freezer bags.

>

> Foxy.

I have found all that palaver completely unnecessary!

Plus if you freeze a whole loaf, you then have to eat the whole lot at once after defrosting.

If you freeze in slices, you can defrost one or two slices at a time.

But to do that you either have to first open freeze the slices, or else separate them with something like easy-leave sheets, otherwise they will all stick together.

I found that useful information to wrap the bread in linen Angelina; thank you!

As for dried milk powder, this is in many recipes but is not obligatory. I never include it.

I got my first bread machine many many years ago via this forum, and have never looked back.

Not bought a loaf of bread since!