Guitar advice

Kells

I have a guitar (Fender Strat) to sell, which I advertised as a Mexican Strat. I've just looked at the serial number though, and it is a Japanese import model, circa 97-98. What does this mean in terms of value? All I know is that I bought it for about ?400, and have hardly touched it since I discovered I'm not Jimi Hendrix, so I just wanted to ask for any advice before I try to find it a new home!

Thanks.

Hi there Kells,

i've seen japanese squire strats (cheaper official copies) sell for about ?200ish on ebay so i reckon you may get alot more for it, it really depends on the condition of it, japanese strats are pretty good guitars.

also, i read on a forum somewhere that andys ( no relation) on denmark st is really dodgy, so don't sell your guitar there- i think he sells guitars & basically doesnt hand the ?? over afterwards.

Last piece of advice- dont sell it & buy a good tuition book!

I would say the accepted hierarchy is US then Japanese then Mexican. However, even in the '50s they occasionally made less high-quality individual axes. Yours is probably better qual than a Mex one, but maybe not as good as a US model. But then again it depends what you are comparing. A US vintage reissue is very different from one of the many lesser US models now made. Also, your guitar be be particularly good. Jimmie Vaughan uses a Mex Strat in preference to his vintage ones at times.

Many people prefer to buy a Jap Strat and upgrade the p/ups, frets and hardware, resulting in a guitar that is still cheaper and as good as or better than a US vintage reissue.

Probably confused you now! It does depend on spec and condition... you could get between ?300-400 for it on eBay. Unless you want to lose loads of wad, avoid trading in or flogging to shops.

Just to add to the above, bear in mind quality control is not entirely uniform in any of the factories. You can get especially good and not so good ones from all of them. If I was buying, I'd want to try out plenty to find a good one.

In general the US built models are better, but a particualrly well made and set up Mexican strat can play better than a 'Friday afternoon' US one.