Enid Blyton - Dulwich

Mick Mac

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> One of the best things I have seen Helena Bonham

> Carter play.

>

>

> Still selling 8 million a year, very impressive.

>

> The treatment of her own children was dismissive,

> and were dumped into bording school at the first

> opportunity.

Hey, It was great at boarding school BTW, I went aged 4.

I turned out just fine by reading Enid Blyton ( The Mystery of the Missing Necklace where fatty hides in the waxworks museum is still in my top 10)

See SteveT, jumping to conclusions an all that, stand at the end of my bed with a stack of books on your head

W**F

*gives self a wedgie & flushes own head down the toilet*

Woof wrote:- Hey, It was great at boarding school BTW, I went aged 4.

I don't think they enjoyed the experience, and they had far more feelings for their father.

Blyton was bordering on a cow like disposition as a parent figure, a selfish, manipulative, unfeeling bitch.

I loved the famous five books as a kid though.

I would have loved being sent to boarding school as a kid, Billy Bunter and Jennings books made the whole experience seem great fun.

All rags in the quad, shipping master's studies and getting into bother with the archbeako.

I've heard tell of cold baths and buggery but the Famous Five and Jennings & Dabyshire never went in for that sort of thing so I'm putting that down to malicious rumours.

Sadly my mater and pater were unable to stump up the required oof for a place so it was not to be.

How different things might have been.

Edited for a couple of fearful bishes.

I was a big Jennings fan too, and loved to rip off some of the books' argot when at my lowly grammar school. "Sir gave us per", I would chirp merrily, when challenged as to how I dared do some proscribed activity or other...

When the Harry Potter books first came to prominence, my initial reaction on reading them was that Rowling owed far more to Anthony Buckeridge than Tolkien. Evidently some hack or other agreed with me, as Anthony Buckeridge, to my amazement still alive although well over 90, was interviewed. It turned out he received practically pennies for his wonderful output...

Bunter appealed too, but for different reasons, involving tuck-boxes and postal orders from one's aunt. I would loved to have received postal orders from aunts...

Blyton's books were fun in their way, but simply did not inspire the same yearnings. There were no caves or smugglers on Blackpool or Scarborough beaches, and I could never train our dog to go "arf arf!"

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Woof wrote:- Hey, It was great at boarding school

> BTW, I went aged 4.

>

>

> I don't think they enjoyed the experience, and

> they had far more feelings for their father.

>

> Blyton was bordering on a cow like disposition as

> a parent figure, a selfish, manipulative,

> unfeeling bitch.

So you've met my mother then !

Which is nice

W**F