skype + webcam problem solved!

Lily

Try opening Skype, going into Tools, then Options, then Video settings. You may also have to adjust the Audio settings.

If you already have done all this, try and reinstall your inbuilt webcam software or get newer drivers.

Good luck!

G

Thanks for getting back to me. when i open skype and get to video settings it tells me i have no webcam. The laptop is 18mths old, runs vista and it was all installed when i bought it so I have no webcam software.

Any other ideas? I wondered if maybe I had to disable something to allow skype to connect to webcam. I can't find anything on the computer about the webcam do you know where that info would be?

I thought you could watch the other in video while you're in voice only mode, but I'm no expert.

If you have a built in one then go to control panel..system..devices and find your device in there, under properties you can see if it's working and you can update drivers etc.

Or just go to Maplins or its equivalent and pick up a USB one for probably a tenner and you should be fine.

Hi Ruffers, I'm using Vista. I had a very kind guy send me a private email who explained how to get to device manager I got a list of whats on my computer and looked for 'imaging devices' or something similar. I got system devices but there was nothing in that about a webcam. i clicked properties and update driver but nothing happend.

thats where I've got to. Any other suggestions very welcome but I may take up a previous suggestion and buy a ?10 thingy ma jig - usb thing.

I don't use my webcam either but I was able to find it by clicking on the icon on the bottom left of your screen (the circular microsoft ball). This lists various programmes you have but at the bottom in the search facility type 'webcam' and see if it finds it. It worked for me.

Thankyou all for your support. I finally found a post on the internet which told me the webcam was deactivated and all i had to do was press Fn+ F10 to activate it. It worked!!! couldn't find Fn at first but it was the left hand bottom key.

Why did Advent have to make it so difficult. Nothing in the welcome pack or tech guy manual about this. Crazy.

L