inspiration needed for small roof terrace

newbie09

So we have a small flat roof, will balcony doors opening onto it. There isn't much of a view (apart from the street) so I don't see much value in making it better to walk out onto, but perhaps some plants or a small garden might might a nice view out of the french doors?

I'm a bit stuck on inspiration of how to make it look a few pots, or put down decking, or proper grass living roof? I would love some ideas and ideally some pictures if anyone has done something similar or nice?

:)

I agree with tomchance. You could easily grow chilli, peppers and aubergines as well, and then a nice tub of nicotiana for amazing night time smell. Use plastic tubs for less weight, and fill the bottom with old plastic bottles or polystyrene etc so that you get good drainage, use less soil (again less weight) and get to do some eco recycling. Perfect!

Yeh didn't think about the smell - great idea.

Was looking at herbs and tomatoes, would be great to have edible things there as it's so close to the kitchen :)

Bit more info btw; it's a small roof pretty much exact same dimensions as this; http://roofireland.com/img/imgs/051.jpg

And considering constructing a small bit of decking, that is fixed to the sides with some planters and a very low trellis across the back.

You'd be surprised what kind of veg you can grow in containers. At one point I had tomatoes, aubergine, cucumber, courgette and french beans, all in pots, as well as some salad veg and, of course, herbs. Whatever you do, if you put fencing/trellis up as a boundary, make sure it's strong. I'm thinking of someone leaning or stumbling against it..

For scent, night scented stock is lovely. I also have some nicotiana planted out in seed trays - superlative scent. I'll probably have too many so keep an eye on this space ;-)

Do you really need the decking? What's it for? It can get quite slippery, and in a confined space it's hard to clean. It needs to be maintained and adds to the weight on your roof. If it's just because you want to make it look nicer you might find that once everything is planted up you don't really notice the floor.

Just a thought!

I made three wooden troughs about 6ft long and 8inches (one gravel board) wide, and two gravel boards deep and planted the left and right hand with golden bamboo, it creates a screen which you can look out of but others cannot see in, (sometimes robins nest in it which is a bonus and an honour) but it's not as severe as a fence.

The front one is around 8ft long and 16inches wide (two gravel boards) and made the same width, although the 8ft's are thicker.

A membrane was inserted in each prior to filling them, you can use pond liner or blue polythene damp proof course.

The front one gets planted out with pansies for the fun, and night scented stocks for the perfume and height.

The gravel boards all come treated and I used 4 inch triangular fence rail in each corner to screw to. I used 2"x1" roof batons to place across the base to act as feet, these are also purchased as treated.

They were filled in equal parts with John Innes No.2 for the nutrition and potting compost for it's water retaining properties.

You will need a 200 box of 2" countersunk screws about 6mm thick, stainless or plated to avoid corrosion.