Bussey Building/Copeland Quarter

Camberg

Hi, not really in East Dulwich I know, but it seems a few of these threads are Peckham related so I'll try my luck...does anyone know about when the Bussey Building/Copeland Quarter is expected to be developed and the front of Peckham Rye Station for that matter? Is there a timeline or is it still 'pie in the sky'?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's only a pipe dream at the moment. Peckham Vision have drawn up plans but I think that's as far as it has got. Until Boris became elected as major, the Lib Drem council's great plan was to sell it off for a massive 24 hour tram depot maintenance yard - thank godness that folly was averted.

Whilst the plans on the Peckham Vision web site all look very interesting, I am so glad it's a thriving artists community now (from what I have read) within the Bussey Building. Are visitors allowed into the Building to view the artists' works or are they private studios? Or maybe this is on an individual basis perhaps?

It would be make a lovely Peckham Assembly Rooms, like in Bath or Lincoln but more Peckhamish.

Would be perfect for language swapping, teaching and learning venue as so many languages are spoken within half a mile of the site. Peckham's rich language resources and talents aren't recognised or exploited. Stop a trader or random shopper along Rye Lane and there's a good chance they will speak three or four languages. In a resident of say, Kensington, this would be applauded as a marker of talent, value and virtue. In SE15, it means they're a dodgy foreigner. Odd.

Lots of people living and working here who want/need to improve their English but can't get the practice, and lots of people across London who want/need to learn another language but can't afford the rising fees/find a local or convenient class/ever get enough practice to speak fluently. Should be able to bring them together somehow.

I read somewhere that the bar on top of the multi storey car park will be opening again for Summer. I have great reports from friends (non SE londoners) who went last year and loved it. Does anyone know when its opening this year ?

• 3 weeks later...

markyb3 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I read somewhere that the bar on top of the multi

> storey car park will be opening again for Summer.

> I have great reports from friends (non SE

> londoners) who went last year and loved it. Does

> anyone know when its opening this year ?

Hannah Barry Gallery Sculpture exhibition opens 30 June and Franks Cafe opens 2 July. See Peckham Residents Network blog for all details.

peckymycheeky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi, not really in East Dulwich I know, but it

> seems a few of these threads are Peckham related

> so I'll try my luck...does anyone know about when

> the Bussey Building/Copeland Quarter is expected

> to be developed and the front of Peckham Rye

> Station for that matter? Is there a timeline or is

> it still 'pie in the sky'?

> Thanks

Some is pie and some is more ... The Peckham Vision website has just been revamped. You can find a good summary of the known time lines for the key issues for the town centre here. Those of us working on all this from residents' perspectives have made significant progress now in bringing the Old Waiting Room at the station back to life. So half way between pie in the sky and pie on the plate.

Today (Sat 26th June) there was a wonderful summer party all day on the Bussey roof with local musicians and local barbecue and the usual panoramic views. See Peckham Residents' Network (PRN) blog for what that was. Sorry I didn't see this earlier to post the info. It is the CLF Art Cafe in the Bussey under Mickey Smith that organises events on the roof. You can get his weblinks from the post on the blog to follow future events.

Hannah Barry Gallery and Frank's Cafe return to the multi storey car park from 30 June. see PRN blog for details.