Where to learn to ski?

Nero

I'd recommend Austria. Less expensive than Switzerland and better facilities than France. For a first timer, Kitzbuhel would be my choice. In some small resorts there is really very little to do but ski or drink and if you are not enjoying the skiing, for any reason, you will get bored witless. Kitzbuhel on the other hand is a lovely medieval town with plenty to do.

As for lessons, you'll find 1-1 tuition very expensive and I would definitely give ski school a go first, particularly if you're on your own. You don't have to do the full week after all.

Nero,

That depends - what is your budget like? Smaller resorts are cheaper and as you will probably only get onto 4 or 5 pistes tops in your first week, going to a massive area like the Three Valleys is probably wasting your cash.

This may sound terribly racist, but I would go for a ski school that is British run, at least for your first week - they are geared up to the British market. Of course, if you really want to push the boat out, you could always go for Canada or the US! Avoid ESF schools in France - they are better than they used to be, but there are still better options out there. Small independents are best, especially for 1-1 tuition.

The resort itself isn't usually terribly important (though I wouldn't recommend St Anton in Austria as the nursery slope is very small). I would short list a few resorts after looking through a few tour company websites, then look at www.skiclub.co.uk to see the resort info, then check google for local schools. Italy and Austria are generally cheaper than France and Switzerland. You'll pay ?7 for a pint in most big French resorts. Ouch.

This isn't a bad list of resorts, though by no means exhaustive.

Your other option is to do a course or two at one of the local snowdomes - Hemel Hempsted and Milton Keynes are the closest. I would recommend this option as you will ski the nursery slope bit when you finally get onto the real stuff. You will get past the side sliding and snow plough bits.

But, if you'd like to learn to snowboard, I can recommend an absolutely brilliant school in Morzine/Avoriaz - Mint Snowboarding.

I am happy to go, ski, eat and sleep, sans partying and all that. I just want to be able to learn as much as I can without getting overloaded in about a week or so. I suppose I would be happy to pay ?750 for flights (tho train wd be nicer), accomm, gear hire and as much tuition as is useful without getting burnt out. Maybe this estimate is way too high or way too low. I simply have no idea right now! Snowboarding appeals, but I am, let's say, over 35, so don't want to be all 'dad rock', even if I am pretty fit. Thanks for all the info so far. Wd appreciate anything else you can tell me!

I'm in my mid-40s and I'm still never the oldest boarder on the hill! The first couple of days of boarding hurt (you fall a lot) but after that you will progress faster than you will skiing and off-piste on a board is much easier than on skis. Skiing is still fun, though, and I'll probably go back to two planks one day.

?750 is probably on the low side, especially if you want private tuition. As a budget...

- ?500 to ?700 for the actual trip (flights, accommodation, transfers and food). A bit more for the train, but you can get 8 days on the hill in compared to 6 if you fly (as you travel overnight).

- ?100 for ski/boot hire

- ?160 for 5 half day ski tuition in a group. You can (at least) double this if you want 1 to 1.

- ?160 to ?240 for six days ski lift pass (depends on the resort).

Some companies (e.g. http://www.outgoingski.co.uk) offer all-in deals which can be good value.

Also, I would recommend you try and talk a mate into coming with you. Learning with a friend is more fun and the lessons are generally half-days, so you will have someone to ski with in the afternoons.

Can 2nd the recommendation for Kitzbuhel, or you could consider Obertauern. As a new skier, you'll appreciate the good range of blue and green slopes once you get enough confidence to start ranging about. Also, Austrian food is delicious and excellent quality: very calorific but what the hell, you're skiiing all day.

Can't overestimate the importance of training before you go. It's helpful that you're already fit, but make sure you train, train, train your legs and back - ask at your gym for recommendations on pre-ski exercise. The fitter you are easier it'll be to retain your balance and the more you'll be able to keep going all day and recover easily from falls.

Thanks. It will be likely that I will be going on my own. (I work v long shifts and lots of w'ends but I get a Mo-Fr off every five weeks, so I wd plan to use that week and another couple of days to make up a week, hence my lack of interest in wild nightlife.) Also, I hear that tall people are not likely to be good skiiers/boarders. I am 6'5'' and would like to know whether this is an old wives' tale or has some truth. I want to ski because I like cold weather, snow, speed (eventually) and feel I am missing out on a good experience but am pretty realistic about what I can achieve as a late starter.

I've never heard that, but they do say one reason children can learn to ski easily is because of the lower centre of gravity.

For what it's worth my 6'3" other half is an excellent skier. I think it's more about how strong your legs are.

Nero, I'm 6'5" and close to 60, I still ski - albeit more gently. Height is not necessarily a problem - once you've mastered actually manouevring the skis. If you can afford it (time and money) I'd recommend Canada & the Rockies. The pistes are wide, seldom crowded and conditions invariably excellent with usually fine blue skies as well. All the instructors will be english speaking. Night life not fantastic tho' Banff can be fun.

Alternatively my son is working in Meribel this year - but, technically (despite an international ski instructor qualification, recognised in every other country) not allowed to instruct in France where all ski instructors have to be passed out of an approved French ski school - so much for EU free movement of persons and jobs.

Nero,

Sounds like you will indeed love skiing/boarding. Height shouldn't be an issue, check out the size of some of the male downhillers (not the boarders and tricksters).

As Loz says, ?750 will be tight for a trip including full kit hire and classes, especially 1-1s. You'll need to shop around and whilst the above mentions for Austria are no doubt worth considering do look to the smaller lesser known resorts too. If you're inclined you could even try Scandinavia.

Given you're a complete beginner it's no point going somewhere with huge ski areas and interconnects. Just check the rating for beginners and to be honest you probably won't need more than a couple of nursery areas, a handful of Greens and upwards of as many Blues. That should also serve to keep the ski pass cost down.

Any place with this sort of provision should be sufficient for your first week. Upside is that you should be able to choose somewhere wonderfully picturesque and hopefully less crowded (this is one of the true joys of being out in the mountains and you don't have to worry so much about the @$$holes speeding through recklessly).

It'd be worth searching for an independent chalet operator (plenty of Brit ones and you can check ski club recommendations as well as the ski press) as many will probably have a deal going with an English speaking instructor and local ski hire.

It's only worth hiring your gear from over here if you can do it for at least ?30 less than in resort as many carriers now charge for taking your gear (not so on the Eurostar, at least last year). There's also the hassle of lugging it there and back, the last thing you want to do is put your back out or twist an ankle on the way out trying to lug everything. Also check out the Ski Club and discount sites to see if you can get discounts for pre-booking your gear.

It would be worth trying out both skis and board over here at a Snowdome if you've the budget to see which you might have a greater affinity for.

Exercise wise definitely mix leg strengthening (upper leg incl adductors) with core work and also balance and lateral movement reps. Ski Club site and other Googleable sources aplenty. If you really want to be prepared then you should be working on these 6+ weeks before.

I would also second the suggestion of trying to go with others as lessons are always more entertaining when there's someone else to share the laughs and inadequacies with. Unless of course you get the uber babe/hunk instructor you want all to yourself. My experience over 30 years is that the uber babes are usually teaching the kids :(

I hope you have a great time and discover the bliss you've been missing all these years.

I'm off to start looking for my next trip.

If you're on a tight budget, Eastern Europe might be a decent bet. The resorts are small but this won't matter as a beginner.

Bulgaria might be worth looking at. And the instructors are as likely to speak English there as they are elsewhere on the continent.

I've not been myself but have heard lots of good reports.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you're on a tight budget, Eastern Europe might

> be a decent bet. The resorts are small but this

> won't matter as a beginner.

>

> Bulgaria might be worth looking at. And the

> instructors are as likely to speak English there

> as they are elsewhere on the continent.

>

> I've not been myself but have heard lots of good

> reports.

That's very true, David. With the added bonus of very cheap beer.

I would recommend Avoriaz for the cheap accommodation as you will be paying a single supplement. Depending on your desire for comfort you can get a small shoe box self catering apartment meant for 2 but which is only suitable for 1 very cheaply out of half term times and it has the huge advantage that most of the apartments are ski in ski out. Learning to ski with much shorter and better equipment has never been easier.