Hoodies - for gentlemen over 30

MrBen

Despite being in good shape and aiming for something good quality (sans logo) I've been told I'm not allowed on the basis that I'm a 35 year old middle class businessman and would look like a twat.

Right or wrong? Or does it depend?

If you feel like a @#$%& wearing one then you will look like a @#$%&. This is true of most items of apparel and why some people seem to be able to carry off a look others can't, it's because they don't feel like a @#$%&. So try it on and ask yourself how you feel.

Hey...like I'd feel cool in it man. Liberated and relaxed yet somehow fitter.

Imagine a lithe, off duty corporate ninja and you'll get the picture.

If only my fair lady agreed. She took one look and simply said "dress your age".

But then if pushed, I feel much the same way about 40-something women with bad legs wearing denim mini skirts.

Absolutely fine, unless you're planning on wearing your new hoodie on a snowboarding/skateboarding trip with your hood covering your shaggy Shaun White hairdo. Just make sure you're wearing a belt and your jeans are covering your arse.

Mr. Ben, I wear one - and am WAAAAY older than you.

Actually, that probably doesn't help you...:-S

If you want one, get one. But, for the record, given your stature and body shape, I think you would look pretty cool in one - whereas I just look like a suspicious smurf who doesn't give a damn.

?When I became a man I put away childish things including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.? ? C.S. Lewis.

Although I wouldn?t advise living your life according to sound bites of received wisdom whose only qualification for being good advice is that they originate from someone who manage to become a household name.

Next thing you?ll be listening to advice from pricks who are somehow able to personify the concept of a quotation and whose only qualification for offering advice is that they can click, ?Post Message?.

In 1990 (aged well over 20) I'd been to a Stop the War bash at the Red Rose Club in Islington. Missed my last train to Sydenham and ended up in West Norwood. It was a winter's night and I had an orangy Gap hooded sweat shirt. I'd cleared a load of personal crap out of my desk draw at work and put it into a large Brixton Cycles dispatch cyclists bag.

So I am too tight to get a cab so I'll jog the two miles or so home, with my hood up and the bag over my shoulder. I see a police metro coming the other way, and I think if they stop me I'll ask for a lift home. Low and behold they turn the car round and in deed stop and question me.

I pull off the hood and the male and female cop (who look about 15) are quite astonished. What do you think they said?

They said, "ohh, we didn't realise that you were so old", and then refused to offer me a lift. But what do you think they actually thought? You will have to make a couple of assumptions about me, and an obvious one about plod.

(of course they could have said that I was only 24 minutes(hours) from Tulse Hill)

I wore my earring (away from work) until I was about 35 and then read an article somewhere saying no man over 30 should have an earring, it struck a chord, out it came. Never back. Except one fancy dress party...aghhhh, jimlad

Seeing a guy with a hoodie, running with a bag over his shoulder, after midnight, the cops thought that I was a burglar. When they saw my age (28 or 29 at the time) and my ethnicity, they were quite surprised, expecting a young black man. Now this was over twenty years ago, when the Met were actually acknowledged as being institutionally racist. Maybe it is not like that nowadays but it still makes me (and friends both black and white) chuckle and reminds me of an unsuble Not the Nine O'clock News sketch. Odd link here: www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=169275.0