Countryside walks

Goodliz

Hello

Would anyone be able to recommend a nice countryside walk that could be done in a day please? I was thinking of somewhere like Kent or Sussex as I would need to be back in time to pick the kids up from school at 3.30.

So drive/ get train after school drop off, do a walk of about 3 hours and then back home again.

I am sure some of the Forum users are very familiar with the surrounding countryside and may possibly be able to recommend a website or a route.

This is how I want to spend the day on my 40th -I am sad I know.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Liz

Well I'd be very happy about spending my fortieth in the countryside on a (hopefully) nice spring day:)

An easy-ish couple of places to get to would be:

Start at Woldingham train station (45mins or so train or car) and walk up to great church wood via church road, returning past woldingham school. Takes about 90 mins or so, maybe a bit longer.

Another really nice bit of countryside is happy valley near Coulsdon south station. Start near the station and go up ditches lane onto farthing down and then drop into happy valley and explore, it really is beautiful up there! I think you can get a direct train from Honor oak for this one.

If you have a look on google maps you can see the routes Im describing.

Oh thank you all so much. I am spoiled for choice now but as Spring is coming it is great to know of a number of places to explore that are easy to get to.

I really appreciate your help. Just hope I have nice weather on the day!

Thanks!

Seconded on the Time Out Book of Walks - I haven't done one I haven't enjoyed, they're all in easy reach of London, they all have great pubs for lunch (and many with options for afternoon tea too), and you can choose your perfect walk based on how energetic you're feeling (difficulty rating and length of walk).

In fact, spring is upon us, it's time I got my copy off the shelf.

I went for a wander round Knole Park nr Sevenoaks a couple of weekends ago - that's lovely walking and you might spot some deer too.

Only pain is at the moment the car park and tearoom (with the all important loos - I hate ducking behind bushes!) are only open weekends.

Hi

Drive down to Shipbourne in Kent , park on the common - do a lovely circular walk from Shipbourne Church to Ightham Mote - can pop in and have a look round there if you have time - then back to Shipbourne for lunch at the Chaser Inn. The walk itself is probably only a couple of hours but can be padded out with a visit to Ightham Mote which is lovely.

Alternatively - drive to Toys Hill near Westerham - lots of lovely circular walks around there of differing lengths - the one I normally do is about 7 miles - and a lovely pub for lunch at the end of it - the Fox and Hounds.

The website www.walkingworld.com is great for walks - you can find a walk to do wherever you may be.

Have a look at a map around Eynsford, Shoreham and Otford in North Kent, and there are lots of lovely walks to be had. I often go to Lullingstone (recommended above), accessible from Eynsford station, and there is a good 2 hour round walk starting and finishing at the visitor centre which can be lengthened or shortened to taste. It was very busy last sunny Sunday but would be quieter outside the weekend. You could take in the Roman Villa which is interesting too. There are also some good walks around Meopham in Kent.

This is great. Thank you. I have a few weeks to look into the routes and decide where to go. Will also get the Time Out book. It is nice to have a thread too about fairly local (to London) walks to do in a day.

• 3 weeks later...

Today was the day (a lovely sunny one too) for my birthday walk. We went to Eynsford by train from Peckham Rye and walked to Shoreham and got the train back to Peckham Rye from there. Only about a 35 minute journey.

Thanks everyone who recommended where to go. Chose this walk because it was easy to get to by train as I was worried about getting stuck in traffic and then late for school pick up. Got 9.55 from Peckham Rye and then train about 1.40 from Shoreham after a massive pub lunch.

Would recommend the walk to anyone wanting to get away for a few hours into the beautiful countryside. It was also very flat so very easy and only about 3 miles.

Thanks again, Liz