difficulties in concentrating/ essays etc- dyslexia??

My 17 year old has always had very poor concentration and finds it really hard to structure essays, take notes, revise for exams etc, despite working really hard and having a high IQ. He is very interested in his A level subjects and knows all the facts and is definitely not lazy, but has problems getting his thoughts into a coherent structured essay.

I've finally realised that a lot of his symptoms could indicate mild dyslexia and plan to get him checked for this. His spelling and writing isn't perfect but is not too bad, which is why I had never really thought he could be dyslexic before....

I wondered if anyone has any other ideas of what could help/ online tests etc?

Or are there other similar / related conditions with these symptoms?

Thanks for any relevant feedback.

Hi, I have a twenty year old son who has very similar problems. He was diagnosed with 'dyslexic type problems' when he was 10 at the Bloomfield. He was reassessed a few months ago at Camberwell Art School and was diagnosed as being severely dyslexic. Camberwell have been very helpful and are giving him lots of support. Have you spoken to the school where he is doing his A'levels - they should be able to offer him some extra support.

Mini toots I work with students (HE) level and those could be symptoms of dyslexia. It would be worth itvifvyou could get him assessed. If he has dyslexia he should be entitled to funding from his LEa for support and resources. There are fantastic resources available to assist with learning. I can get you some of this information if itvwouldchelp? The British Dyslexia Association might be helpful as well. You can do online testscvutvthey are pretty basic, but the full assessment will give you a clear picture, and if he is dyslexic will show you his strengths and weaknesses and ways in which he learns. If he is statements as dyslexic he will also be entitled to more time for waiting exams etc. good luck, if you want any ,ore info let me know and I can gather some more info for you.

If he gets an assessment then, if he is going on to further education, when applying for his student loan he also needs to apply for the Disabled Students Allowance. It involves a further assessment but there is then funding for things like software (mind mapping, text to speech) , hardware (laptops, printers, scanners etc) and study skills support, or whatever is considered necessary to support him. There appears to be far more support available at uni than there is at school - completely the wrong way round if you ask me!!