Is there a folk version of Bach to Baby

Ellie78

Firstly, I've just realised I didn't respond to the amazing responses I got on what to do on weekends with my v active toddler.im so sorry! Thanks everyone!

He loves music, particularly accoustic, and I reckon he'd love live folk. Does anyone know of anywhere I can take him during the weekends (and it would have to be the day- he's a nightmare if he goes past 7). Yes, and he'd have to be able to run around and dance. Surely somewhere like this exists!

Thanks buggie. I think it's definitely worth trying- I think he might like a little space to run around and dance though, and (though he's v outgoing) might get a wee daunted if there's a load of people. But I will def give it a go. I think this might be the closest I get.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ellie,

Wow, what a question. First of all, let me introduce myself. I'm Miaomiao, and I'm the founder of Bach to Baby. Our audience have been requesting different things, and I've done my best to cater to them! So, as a matter of fact, we are having an amazing accordionist Milos Milivojevic perform for us for the month of January. You've just missed the one in Dulwich Village which was super popular. However, there's one on Friday Jan. 31st, at 4pm at All Saints Church, West Dulwich. Milos will be performing greats from both the classical and folk repertoire. You can find information about it at http://www.bachtobaby.com/westdulwich

We'll also be featuring jazz for the first time at Bach to Baby next month. "A Brief History of Jazz", featuring jazz saxophonist Oliver Weston.

I hope that helps!

As always, please do write me if you have any special requests of styles, or instruments. I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Miaomiao [email protected]

Hello everyone!

Bea with Bea's Baby Bop here, love love love this post :) ! Ellie, what a brilliant idea, there SO should be something like this :) ! MiaoMiao, I've heard such great things about Bach To Baby, it looks like such a brilliant program, I wish I could make it to one of your concerts but I'm usually teaching at the same time :/ !

Ellie, that's really sweet of you to include Baby Bop in your folk for babies thoughts :) very happy about that! Just seen this thread and thought I'd let you know that I have a folk band called "The Hobos" where I sing and play guitar with full band (so percussion, drums, banjo, accordion and bass). You and your son would be so very welcome to come along for a listen and a dance with us sometime :) ! We do sometimes play gigs during the day that are baby friendly. We've played some gigs at Rye Books in East Dulwich. . .I'll have to let you know when the next baby friendly gig is! You can have a listen to us here http://www.thehobos.co.uk

We have a gig coming up on February 5th in East Dulwich at a very baby friendly venue but it's just as a duo and on a Wednesday from 7pm so not ideal! Will let you know if I hear of any other folk-y weekend baby friendly day concerts.

This is a great CD if you're wanting some baby friendly folk too :) http://www.putumayo.com/content/sing_along_putumayo_0?section=kids

Incidently,Miaomiao, if you ever fancied having a folk band for a Bach To Baby session, we'd be interested in getting involved :) !

Best,

Bea

x

THanks MiaoMiao and Bea! Please keep me (and us) updated on anything going on at the weekends. Would really really love to do both please - no pressure, he he.

Bea - I loved your class while I was on maternity leave! The plough is a wee bit of a trek for us, which explains why we haven't made it on Saturdays, but if I do get my act together I will say hi.

And Bach to Baby was a real gem too. Ah, happy days...(excepting sleep deprivation, of course)

• 1 month later...

Hi Bea and Ellie,

Sorry for late reply! I realised I needed to follow the thread to get the subsequent emails!

I'll keep you in mind in the future, for sure.

We do try to incorporate all sorts of influences in our music. Our March concert had Romanian folk, as well as violin-led singing of the Skype Boat song... Next month's programme features the harp, and takes you around the world with all its folk influences.

details below.

Hope that helps! Oh, and I'm now following this thread, so any further questions or requests - I'll see them, and answer soonest!

Miaomiao

Friday April 11th, 2014 @ 10:30am (St. Barnabas Church, Dulwich Village)

http://www.bachtobaby.com/dulwich

Around the World on 47 Strings

featuring Keziah Thomas, harp

It took Phileas Fogg eighty days, but star harpist Keziah Thomas will whisk you around the world in under an hour, stopping off to dance the Bransles in France, the tango in Argentina, and finishing with fiery flamenco. Put on those dancing shoes!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...