Does anyone have any experience of having antenatal care under the Aylesham Midwives?

AllyMcB

Hi

After a negative experience with the labour and delivery of my last baby, the Midwife Consultant at Kings College Hospital has suggested I go under the care of the Aylesham Midwives based in Peckham.

I have not heard of this team before and wondered if anyone had any experience of them?

Thank you

Alison

Hi Alison

really sorry to hear you had a negative experience. Have you come across Neighbourhood Midwives? I'm a midwife and I work for them in the Peckham area- basically because I had enough of women like yourself having negative experiences and was convinced there was a way that women could be offered truly great care so they can birth positively

I haven't heard of the Aylesham midwives. But if you want to look into what we offer, please check out our website. www.neighbourhoodmidwives.org.uk You can call us for a free consultation anytime on 0208 874 6624

Alternatively we're doing a free drop-in clinic tomorrow morning at 9.30 at the Vale in Dulwich, so you might want to come along then and meet some of us and ask us questions. directions are here: http://www.thevalepractice.co.uk/find_us.php

all the very best with it and I hope you find the care you and your baby deserve

Julie

• 5 months later...

Hi

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread but if anyone else has heard about the Aylesham midwives I'd be really keen to know too and Alison if you did use them what has your experience been? I ask because I've also just been referred to them. I was feeling really positive about this but now am a bit concerned by the post above saying they had had replaced the Albany midwives as have actually just read some really negative things about the latter. Does anyone know if they are actually the same people? Or just that the Aylesham midwives have adopted a similar model? Obviously you can't trust everything you read on-line! But any reassurance anyone can give about the Aylesham midwives would be really appreciated. Thanks. x

The Aylesham team was re-formed in 2012 as a completely new team. They now offer 'all-through' care right up to the birth, whether it is in hospital or at home. I cannot praise them highly enough. My second baby was born at home with the Aylesham midwives 10 months ago. They operate a small team who I think are now based at The Grove Children's Centre. The same amazing midwife who booked me in was in charge of my care throughout, and she delivered my baby. She was the most supportive and empowering woman I could have asked to be with me. I still can't believe how lucky I was. In the last few weeks they visited me at home and ensured that I had met each of the midwives in the team in case my own midwife could not make it to the birth. I found that so reassuring as I knew in advance that two of the 6 women I had met would be there at the birth. No strange faces and no concerns over a midwife lottery. If I had gone to hospital they would have come with me and still delivered the baby on the labour ward. I would have been happy with any of the team being with me in labour.

At 39 weeks I had a suspected infection and was sent up to MAU at Kings. My allocated midwife met me up there and did all the tests and examinations herself which was totally unexpected and so reassuring. She phoned me with the test results. Having that continuity was great.

From my experience in the last few weeks and after the birth, the whole team that were in place at the time seemed professional, experienced, warm, kind, open and non-judgmental.

After the birth, the team continued to be brilliant. They worked 7 days a week doing home visits at weekends.

I really felt they went above and beyond the call of duty. I am not planning a third but if I was I would not go to anyone else! Good luck

Wilko many thanks for taking the time to respond with such positive feedback! I really really appreciate it. You've totally put my mind at rest now. I had a very traumatic first delivery so the Aylesham team sound just what I need. Thanks again. x

• 1 year later...

Hello

I am 6 weeks pregnant.

My Gap wants me to get the a antenatal care at Kings but I would like to see if the ayeshlam midwifery.

Do you have a contact number? Do you know where they are located?

That would be really great

Thanks

Sarah

• 1 year later...

Hello again!

I finally gave birth to my baby girl on 27th April with Michelle Harison

From the Ayeshlam midwives. Despite my labour being long and complicated they have been just perfect in any way

Very respectful of my wishes but also very focused and professional

This is really a great team and I definitely recommend it!