Engineered wood flooring for family home?

Hi,

I am thinking of laying engineered wood on the ground floor. It is an open plan living area so includes the hall way, living room, kitchen and dining area. Do you think it is a good idea?

Do you have engineered wood flooring in your home? If so, did you find it resilient and suitable for a family home? Also, can you let me know where you purchased your flooring from.

Grateful for your views. Thank you!

Hi, we have engineered wood throughout our house, including the kitchen, hallway and living room. We are really happy with it. Make sure you buy good quality boards with a thick layer of solid wood as then you can sand it several times during the lifetime of the floor. I think ours was at least 6mm. It does however get scratched, but i do not notice it too much and is just part of normal wear and tear of a wooden floor. We have had ours for 5 years now. We have three young children.

The place we bought it has since gone bust unfortunately.

I second the bamboo flooring - we used the same company, their stuff is really nice quality and very hard wearing.the builder we used at the time was so impressed that he's now recommending it to others, too. We have it downstairs as well as in other rooms and 5yrs on, it still looks great.

Get some free samples to compare (there are other companies, but their samples didn't impress me as much).

Can I jump on this.... I am interested in bamboo as love bamboo products for sustainability (although I'm not that good, I will get the best solution for my house over and above Eco credentials - boo hiss - sorry!). I'm currently doing my kitchen and having ufh. Have been assuming tile throughout (we have engineered oiled and brushed in the front of our house) but am starting to worry about the kids dropping things on tiles. I just really worry about the hard wearing aspect, especially staining. Do you guys have it in your kitchen?

Thanks much! Love the website, it's ridiculously reasonable too, no??

Hiya

no, we don't have it in the kitchen as the kitchen was tiled when we bought the house. Not sure what tiles these are, I wouldn't think they were the very expensive ones, and so far, no breakages but yes, staining (son is 3yrs old). Give the bamboo co a call: they were very helpful and not sales-y.

And yes, for the quality, I thought it was very reasonable, will (eventually) do the rest of the house in bamboo :)