Natural induction - any tips?

Sarie

Hi I'd really appreciate anyone's advice about 'natural' induction methods. I'm only 5 days over due and in good health etc. and baby still kicking away but because of my age the pressure is on to start inducing me earlier than normal. I'm really anti induction due to a very traumatic experience with my first. So just wondered what various forms of 'natural' induction people may have tried? I've already tried a number of things including eating far too much pineapple! I've heard acupuncture can work. Has anyone tried this and can recommend someone local? Or any other suggestions? Thanks

Hello

Sorry to hear you're being put under pressure. I went to nearly 2 weeks and just beyond 2 weeks beyond due date with both of my babies who were both born at home, easily and healthily.

I was under the Brierley midwife team at the time although had to meet with the obstetrician after being a week overdue. We discussed NICE guidelines and I had some placental and fetal monitoring (daily in the case of my 2 week plus over due baby).

Both came naturally in the end (easy and quick labour) but I tried the following: reflexology, acupuncture, (both lovely); bouncing on a birth ball, fast walking, and sex (unwieldy but not unpleasant); raspberry leaf tea and various herbs and tinctures I;m really not sure I'd recommend; pineapple, curry, cumin tea, some kind of "tonic" they sell at healthfood shops that was doing the rounds. I stopped short of castor oil because the effects sounded disgusting!

Good luck!

Very overdue with second and due to traumatic 1st was absolutely determined to go into labour naturally. Tried acupuncture and actually really enjoyed the opportunity to relax and focus on myself. What I think did it though was a 3 mile walk. Did the walk on the Sunday, went into labour 7am next day. Good luck.

I believe I was "shocked" into labour by a really, really good and unexpected surprise. No signs, not even a Braxton Hicks, then I hear the news and four hours later contractions started. If you can't arrange to win the lottery, then try and stay happy (easier said than done, I know!) and do lovely things for yourself to get the oxytocin flowing.

Could your midwife give you a sweep? I had a sweep at 40+3 and went into labour that night.

After the sweep I sat on the birthing ball for most of the day and also used an oil burner with some drops of Clary sage in it.

I went into labour that night. I've no idea but suspect the sweep was what cracked it!

Sex (Good. For you :D ); exercise e.g.brisk walking/swimming; sex; hot curry (HOT!); exaggerated hoovering (boo); nipple stimulation (and sex?); a sweep; cake baking; acupuncture; reflexology and aromatherapy massage. Sounds like a fun day no? :D

Remember: your body, your choice. In the Uk no-one can make you do something you don't want to do, but you'll want to discuss with your midwife/obs so you can weigh up the specific risk factor for you, in your situation for delaying induction. Be wary of generalisations - the nhs 'offers' induction at different times for different 'risk' categories of women (N.B. It's not always phrased as an offer - often it's presented as a fait accompli e.g. "we will do X on Wednesday"), but the data used to make that decision is based on generalists, you will need to look at that generalised data and decide how relevant it is to your specific situation before you make decisions about what interventions you allow to your pregnancy.

I have nothing useful to add on natural induction because I ended up getting induced using a syntocynin (sp?) drip but I wanted to echo sillywoman's comments that induction is completely your choice and it is important to remember that the drs are there to tell you what they think is best but it's your body and your baby.

In the end I opted for an induced labour because my blood pressure became elevated at the end of my pregnancy (41 + 5) and I was becoming concerned that my placenta would fail before my baby decided to make a move. As it was, it took 3 days at the hospital culminating in 4 hours on the full strength drip to get her even to start budging but after that it was a pretty swift process.

All in all the induction was not as bad as I thought it was going to be but just required me to be a bit flexible by letting go of my desires for a wholly natural, mostly at home delivery. I loved the epidural I had for the last 2 hours of labour and was very lucky that it was really well done so that I was mobile on the bed and only used it once which meant that by the time I gave birth in a very natural position (on my knees so gravity could help) I could feel my daughter coming into the world.

So, good luck with whatever happens for you and I hope that you and baby have a great first meeting.

xx

treehugger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Giles Davies on 07739 414210 is experienced at

> inducing babies through acupuncture.

2nd vote for Giles.

Ella Keepax is also good. For acupuncture to be effective you may need several sessions of increasing intensity. Acupuncture has been shown to increase uterine blood flow, and may assist onset of labour in this way.

NB cost... Giles is helpful for offering concessions if you chat with him about what you expect and can afford. He and his wife have grown children, so he is v understanding about all things family related from personal experience. His clinic is 15a, the basement flat of his Barry Road home. V easy to get to. xx

Just wanted to say thanks everyone for all your helpful advice. I'm glad I stuck it out and think the brisk walk up hills did it in the end as went into labour naturally at 40+6 and little baby girl following day! xx

Acupuncture really helped me. I went to see Claire Battersby at the Goose Green Clinic, east dulwich road. Website: www.clairebattersby.co.uk. She is brilliant! I would highly recommend her. Her number is 07957641946. Clinic number is 0208 693 3047