King's College Births - Epidurals

klh

I am due to have my baby at King's at the end of the month. Having researched it in some detail and weighed up the pros and cons, I am considering requesting an epidural as part of my birth plan (while keeping an open mind). Does anyone have experience of requesting an epidural at King's and if so, were the midwives supportive of your request?

Many thanks!

Hi there

I had my 3 year old daughter at Kings and had a good experience. I had requested an epidural in my birth plan and even though I wasn't in any pain, they were more than happy to give it to me as soon as I was in labour. It disconnected halfway through and I had a bit of pain but it was soon rectified.

Good luck and enjoy motherhood x

Massive fan of epidurals! I didn't have one first time round, so wrote on a piece of paper that I wanted one the second time. The midwives reassured me I could do it without one, but I was having none of it so they called the lovely anaesthetist.

Be firm and clear, whatever you choose. It's your big day, not anyone else's. Kings is brilliant and you'll be treated well. Good luck!

Hi,

Same as midivydale,

Was induced and refused the drip until l had an epidural.

Just that l had to wait 3 hours for the anaethetist.

The midwifes suggested to put me on the drip first and i could still

have the epidural. I am so glad l said no to this.

But when epidural was done and re-adjusted (was working only on one side at the beginning)

Everything was fine.

Easy, smooth, painfree and no intervention needed.

• 4 weeks later...

this is a very useful thread! Im about to give birth and considering one even though midwife is discouraging it. did any of you had to as a result of the epidural, have forceps or ventouse? this is the only thing that's putting me off it.

thanks for advice!

Piazzola

I had an epidural with my first and requested one (in a non-coping moment) with my second. My second arrived about ten mins after I requested it. The first arrived after ventouse failed twice and as a result of forceps. I have no idea whether the assisted delivery was as a direct result of the epidural. My first was induced, back to back and I'd been labouring for over 24hrs by the time it came to push. My first also has a rather large head! I can categorically say that I could not push my first anywhere near as good as my second. But I'd been labouring for about 1.5 hrs with my second before she arrived so I was nowhere near as exhausted. The epidural definitely slowed things down with my first but after about 14-16 hrs on gas and air alone with a back to back baby it gave me much needed pain relief and rest. It also allowed me to eat something as I'd vomited everything.

The thing with birth 'plans' is to go with the flow I think. It's impossible to say what you will feel like/need until you are in the moment. It's up to you. You are the one doing it.

My first midwife suggested the epidural. The second said no problem to epidural but your baby is coming soon and you can deliver it without one. Turns out she was right!!

Hi Piazzola. If you google studies on Epidurals and assisted births, the latest research seems to indicate that you are not more at risk of an assisted birth if you have an Epidural. My understanding is that the link was made because women who were having difficult labours were more likely to request an epidural but because of the difficult labour might always have needed instrumental assistance. I'm due shortly and I'm going for one.

For my first baby was in distress so they broke my waters and stuck me straight onto the syntocinon drop and it was murder. The epidural, when it finally arrived, was total bliss! I read a magazine, had a little sleep. It might have slowed things down a bit but it was well worth it. And baby was delivered without assistance. I had a walking or mobile epidural which meant I could still move about a bit which was good.

Second time round my birth plan consisted of an a4 sheet with epidural written on it in massive letters and nothing else. In fact though it was very quick and manageable and I coped fine with just a little bit of gas and air for getting the head out. I did try and get them to give me an epidural at that point but they pointed out that as baby was on his way out it probably wasn't worth it!

So, anecdotal evidence only but I think they can be great, you don't necessarily need forceps etc, but also you might not need it if it all goes smoothly. Good luck!!!!

Perhaps say you're considering opting for an elective C-section - you'll definitely get an epidural...

I failed to get an epidural on my first birth (2009) despite it being the only word on my birth plan... but things may have changed since then. In fact, I'm sure they have.

For my second birth, i requested an elective C-section, the midwives were falling over themselves offering me an epidural to stop me going for a C-section. Wish I'd done this first time around.

I had an epidural with my first. I was induced with a drip

And has to wait 4-5 hours for an epidural as the doctor advised against it.

Got it though and it took the pain away. Have to be honest though, i had a forcep delivery after failed ventouse and also got horrible complications all because of the epidural, an awful,'awful headache caused by a dural puncture.

So for my second baby the plan was to not have an epidural. It was a back to back baby so it was very painful but I avoided forceps and ventouse and felt a lot better afterwards then with my first baby.

klh Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Piazzola. If you google studies on Epidurals

> and assisted births, the latest research seems to

> indicate that you are not more at risk of an

> assisted birth if you have an Epidural. My

> understanding is that the link was made because

> women who were having difficult labours were more

> likely to request an epidural but because of the

> difficult labour might always have needed

> instrumental assistance.

Could you post a link to the relevant article(s), or give the refs?

Not sure about forceps/vnts, but I think there is good research to suggest that c-secs are much higher following epidural anaesthesia. Of course you're right to point out that correlation doesn't equal causation, re difficult labours linked to request for epis. However epis diminish active/upright labour, which would otherwise benefit difficult births, thus avoiding intervention. So the correlative relationship runs either way.

I'm just looking for the ref to post... gimme a min....

Ok for an interesting summary article with links/citations to primary sources, see scienceandsensibility.org 'Birth by Numbers' for a short and interesting talk on the effects of birth culture and cascade of interventions. xx

I had epidurals at Kings with my three births. My first two were back to back so I definitely needed it and my plan for a water birth with my 3rd went out the window the minute the contractions kicked in! The midwives were happy to give me one all 3 times (first time took longer as we were waiting for the anaesthetist). As soon as it kicks in you can sit back and read a magazine or watch Coronation Street! I didn't have forceps or stitches with any of mine. Good luck! xx

Just thought I would post an update to say I had my baby yesterday and did have an epidural although not until about 9cm dilated because it took a while for me to get into established labour and the anaesthetist was on another job. It was wonderful when I had it - really reduced the pain to almost nothing. Unfortunately it turned out after 2 hours of pushing and an attempted ventouse delivery that my baby's head was in a really odd position and so couldn't be delivered naturally and I had a c-section. By the time of the attempted ventouse delivery the epidural wasn't working very well anymore so I had a spinal block which was fantastic. The Kings team were amazing and I can't fault them at all. Good luck Piazzola!

Congrstualtions klh!! Well done!!

Just wondering,to those of you sitting back reading magazines, had a nap, cup of tea etc after the epidurial...really??

My experience was completely different, yes the pain was reduced somewhat but I was still very much in agony and def unable to sleep, eat/drink etc.

Are there different epidurials?

Yes congratulations klh!

Midivydale, no idea if there are different epidurals. Were you pressing as often as you could? But yes, I ate and slept with mine and could still move my legs...it was amazing

midivydale Wrote:

> Congrstualtions klh!! Well done!!

> Just wondering,to those of you sitting back

> reading magazines, had a nap, cup of tea etc after

> the epidurial...really??

> My experience was completely different, yes the

> pain was reduced somewhat but I was still very

> much in agony and def unable to sleep, eat/drink

> etc.

>

> Are there different epidurials?

midivydale Wrote:

> Congrstualtions klh!! Well done!!

> Just wondering,to those of you sitting back

> reading magazines, had a nap, cup of tea etc after

> the epidurial...really??

> My experience was completely different, yes the

> pain was reduced somewhat but I was still very

> much in agony and def unable to sleep, eat/drink

> etc.

>

> Are there different epidurials?

Yes there are different types of spinal anaesthetics, and also people react v differently to them. xx

I pressed for dear life;)

I am so surprised to hear this, I thought the eating, drinking, reading etc were another white lie the sisterhood conspired with.

I had a spinal block for what should have been a c-section but ended up being forceps and yes, I could see how you would eat/read etc after that.

So Interesting to hear of others' experience.

I also had an epidural with both of mine. With the first,the epidural provided amazing pain relief as my labour was 52 hours... After the epidural I also got some sleep and calmed myself down - pethidine also helped me greatly! With the second I had the epidural very late and as a result could feel the pressure of pushing and the baby coming out but absolutely no pain, which was also good for the stitches afterwards... not sure many midwives would have recommended an epidural at this late stage but it worked for me. X

I had an epidural at Kings and found it to be extremely effective- would definitely recommend. I was unable to have one until I had already been in the labour ward for 6 hours because up until that point there was no room available for me and I spent all that time in a triage room with nothing. So by the time I eventually got through to the delivery suite I asked for one straight away and received it almost straight away. Was very impressed with that part of the whole process. After that I was actually able to sleep and got about 4 hours which was awesome. Obv there is discomfort wen it is administered and also you really cannot move your legs or get out of bed but tbh when you need it, you'll know, and it's worth it! Good luck :)

Hmmm, tricky one. My observation has been that an epidural really changes the nature of the labour: It makes it much more likely that you'll need forceps/ventouse (harder to push and causes weaker pelvic floor muscles meaning baby doesn't get into right position and so makes birth too difficult/impossible vaginally so needs help) which can in turn make tearing or episiotomy more likely. Mal-positioned baby can make caesarean more likely. Not forgetting the stuff that comes along with epidural such as reduction in oxytocin so need for CTG monitoring and a cannula in the hand in case of needing sytocinon, bladder catheterisation which increases the risk of infection and means you have to stay longer in hospital as it doesn't come out until after the epidural's worn off, then medic's like you to pass sufficient urine twice before you can be signed off as good to go by the Dr. There's a shed load of other stuff, too but these are only personal observations. I'm sure evidence can be found to both prove and disprove what I see if I was to go looking for it...

Having said this, I've had two (three if you count the one that didn't work) myself at KCH. I'm well aware that if you need it you need it, but if I had my time again I'd avoid them like the plague and look at much better ways of managing the contractions - starting with a hypnobirthing course.

I'd add a rider that my avoidance like the plague is only relevant for spontaneous labour. If I was having a medical induction with syntocinon I'd strongly consider one. For me - they have their place, but not as a part of normal labour process they don't. But I'm not the one having your baby, so only you reader can decide what's right for you in the moment. Just rad around carefully and don't fall for the 'PAIN FREE LABOUR' banner headline of the drug - nothing comes without risks or consequences.