Looking for a new book to read

Have you read any Anne Tyler? Ladder of Years, and the Accidental Tourist I particularly liked.

Also Carol Shields, The Stone Diaries and Happenstance amongst others.

Lorrie Moore, writes short stories but some novels, inc. Who will run the frog hospital?

Emily Prager - A Visit from the Footbinder, is a collection of short stories, but check out her novels. Lots available for 1 pence on Amazon.

Bobbie Ann Mason - In Country

Josephine Humphreys - The Fireman's Fair, Rich in Love, Dreams of Sleep.

If you like American literature then you might like Curtis Sittenfeld - her books are real page turners - I especially loved American Wife and Sisterland.

Just finished reading Brooklyn by Colm Toibin which is beautifully written and has a lot of focus on a young Irish girl's life in New York in the 1950s (if you haven't seen the recent film!). It is a very gentle book and a little bit sad so probably not best if you want something uplifting, but I would still recommend it...

If you can brave 900 pages then Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch is amazing.

Joyce Carol Oates 'The Falls' is riveting and again a page turner...

Lochie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you like American literature then you might

> like Curtis Sittenfeld - her books are real page

> turners - I especially loved American Wife and

> Sisterland.

This, a hundred times over. Absolutely love Sittenfeld (new one out in May this year - I'm counting) and yes, those two are particularly good.

Not set in the US but my favourite book of last year was The House I Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell. A page-turning family novel (not a thriller) but just wonderfully constructed with absolutely believable characters and a fast paced storyline. Fantastic portrait of a dysfunctional family. But not depressing, just intriguing and engaging.

Love that moment when you can't wait to return to your book!

I second the Goldfinch by Donna Tart.

A bit depressing and dark at times but one I couldn't put down last year was A Little Life.

For something very casual and light which you can dip into I'd recommend by current read, Caitlin Moran 'How to be a Woman' which is pretty darn hilarious.

Ok, have read Peter Swanson - The Kind worth killing as recommended by bellenden belle. It's good. So if you are looking for something akin to the first books I mention, it fits.

Lots of lovely recommendations on here but I'm not sure if they are people's fave books or books similar to the sort I like. Regardless it's nice to have a thread about the books we enjoy. Any more recommendations for books like gone e kind worth killing etc much appreciated.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie had me gripped over Christmas. Also a book called The Mountain Story by Lori Lansens was perhaps one of the best books I read last year - I literally couldn't put it down: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22856128-the-mountain-story

Edited to say another huge favourite of mine in 2015 was A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara - it's massive, and it's very, very dark but by god, it swallowed me whole.

Yes. I meant books of the type I like, set in America. The family thread is often kinder than the others re specifics so I was lax. Will do better next time. Thanks Keston Kid.

KestonKid Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Quite a number of recommendations for "Books set

> in America" as requested though!