Forest for a weekend away from ED?

Does anyone have recommendations for a place for a weekend away within a few hours of ED that has a forest and walking/ hiking trails? I'm an American from Vermont and find myself aching for an area surrounding by trees and quiet and no motorways... I'm hoping to plan a weekend away with my partner and our 18 month old. Would love any recommendations for places to explore within a few hours of ED, if they're accessible by a reasonable train ride that would be an extra bonus!

Thanks in advance

Susanna

New Forest without doubt - beautiful and if you drive, now far from water. Stay in Lyndhurst or further in. Highly recommend it but you would need a care although they do have buses quite frequently. Go onto their web site and you will find all information you need. Boulder wood to see the deer and plenty of walking. Ponies are free roaming as are the odd pig. Plenty of good B and B. Go to Bucklers Hard and take the boat round the lake. Think it is ?3.00 per person and gives you another perspective.

Yes! Just back from camping in the forest at Badgells Wood campsite which is one of the closest forest campsites to London, only 1hr drive. The pitches are a good distance from each other and in the trees. There were groups of walkers on tours and individually along the trails beside the site all day so I assume good walking.

^ Looks an interesting place.

Did they have the open fire ban in place while you were there?

What did people do instead?

The website doesn't say what kind of toilets they have (important for my kids...) is it just the compost-type?

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes the ban was on for us. We used a gas stove

> for ?10 from amazon. It was great. The toilets

> were compost loos. They were always clean,

> regular loo shape with toilet roll provided.

Thanks.

I wonder why they banned campfires especially as it's seems such a big selling point for the site.

We're going to the Secret Campsite next week and there's no ban there. Although they have asked us to be careful.

@smedavies

There's plenty of good walking along the South Downs if you camp near there (Lewes/Burgess Hill).

But not so big on forests.

We've stayed at WoWo before (Wapsbourne Manor) which is great for families and has some walks too.

I?m not sure, but Badgells pitches are literally in the woods. Small clearing amongst the trees with a lot of twigs and dead wood around etc. Not in fields or on grass or anything like that.

Beulah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Yes the ban was on for us. We used a gas stove

> > for ?10 from amazon. It was great. The

> toilets

> > were compost loos. They were always clean,

> > regular loo shape with toilet roll provided.

>

> Thanks.

> I wonder why they banned campfires especially as

> it's seems such a big selling point for the site.

> We're going to the Secret Campsite next week and

> there's no ban there. Although they have asked us

> to be careful.

>

> @smedavies

> There's plenty of good walking along the South

> Downs if you camp near there (Lewes/Burgess

> Hill).

> But not so big on forests.

> We've stayed at WoWo before (Wapsbourne Manor)

> which is great for families and has some walks

> too.