list of local montessori nurseries

kelda

Hi,

Ive been searching for this info on the forum for a list of Montessori registered nurseries/preschools and have found Half Moon Montessori and Dulwich Montessori (and Cherry Tree on Lacon Road tho not sure how much this actually follows Montessori?)

Could anyone let me know if there are any other Montessori nurseries local to East Dulwich/Forest Hill please.

Also as I know theres often big variations, if anyone has an indication to how closely they follow the Montessori teaching technique Id be really intersted to hear.

Thanks very much

Half Moon Montessori is great, I love it. However it is not hardcore Montessori in that although it does use all the precribed wooden montessori learning tools and activities' it also uses other stuff as well. In some ways this makes it even more child-led than the by-the-book Montessori method (I have some experience of this to compare as well) as children are able to do such a wide variety of things depending on their individual interests. Horses for courses....

Also I think all nurseries in which you can use the govt childcare vouchers now have to have some handwriting, letter and numberwork in the term before you start school - this is very un-montessori as they would prefer to wait til the child indicates they are ready, but nearly all Montessoris do this now otherwise thhy would price themselves out of the market.

Sorry to hi-jack, but can I just ask those recommending Blossoms....what do people do about holiday cover as I understand Blossoms is term time only? Are there childminders and/or nannies that just work in the school holidays or do people that work year-round just not use Blossoms?

Alieh, in answer to your query re. Blossoms: yes the closure in school holidays is not ideal, but seeing as it's only open for school hours in term-time anyway (till 4pm) we've always had an after-school nanny on those days I work. So during the holidays we just ask her to do a few extra full days, and for the rest of the time we scrabble around with my husband and I taking time off and/or roping in the grandparents! I believe there are agencies that offer holiday solutions but we've never needed to recourse to them (yet).

Weirdly, it seems to be open during the Easter holidays - I've never quite understood why.

Montessori center international has a website for schools that are accredited by MCI (not all montessori school are accredited) the schools I know are rose house (forest hill) dulwich village montessori, blossoms, half moon lane, and cherry tree. Im just listing them dont want to be biased to any.

• 2 months later...

Little Fingers Montessori is pretty disappointing. Did not have good experience and staff seems very unprofessional. Ask to see their record of complaints if you consider them. This is a statutory requirement for nurseries to keep such records and it might give you insight in to their quality of care.

Jean

• 2 months later...

Cherry tree montessori nurseries is not a good place to send your little one.

I was doing my work experience there and the staffs and owner had left me in the building by myself.

I was terrified and called my tutor who change my nursery placement.

Feel sorry for anyone who sends there child there as they do not know what the staffs are like at all.

• 2 months later...
Our daughter has started at a new one in Forest Hill, which may still have places. Townsend montisorri nursery. Although to be honest, it's more like montisorri light. Met a mum there from ED, so you wouldn't be alone.

The nursery on half moon lane requests a child is potty trained before they start which is from 2.5. i dont recommend the Montessori on Burbage Road. Staff are very unprofessional and the rooms have no air conditioning and are very pokey for the amount of children. i was not satisfied with my childs time there, no facilities or rooms for kids to have a nap.