Travel advice for New York

tllm2

Would be really grateful for an recommendations anyone might have for family/child friendly hotels in New York - the ideal would be something really centrally located (on Manhattan) for all the typical sight seeing stuff, at a reasonable price ..........

Try the Parker Meridian - they are on Central Park South and have double rooms that are family rooms and a magnificent glass enclosed rooftop pool with a fantastic view. Most hotels do not fit families so easily as Manhattan hotel rooms are so so small. There are also a number of apartment hotels that have cropped up - I haven't tried any though...a lot of them are downtown...

All places are family friendly but avoid the trendy ones that might have pounding music until the late hours wafting up to your window...

Not sure what you define as "reasonable" but be prepared Manhattan hotels are very expensive - even the less sought after. I stayed with our then 8 month old daughter at the Beekman Tower Hotel, it's right by the UN in 2006. Whilst the decor is a little old fashioned, rather than uber cool, it was perfect for us as a family as we had a separate living room, kitchenette and bedroom. This was so useful for dealing with jet lag and when the kids need snacks immediately. It also has a really spectacular roof top bar - the views were great, nothing super trendy but really nice to have a glass of wine and wind down after a day's sightseeing. I'm returning to NY in a few weeks time, and when trying to find a hotel, that one still had fair prices compared to other stuff.

Otto, the Parker Meridien is on 57th not Central Park South, unless you're referring to another hotel.

tllm2 - I was born in NY and work for a NY headquatered company, so if you want more hotel advice, feel free to PM me.

When we went with our children a couple of years ago we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on West 28th Street between 6th and 7th Avenue - you don't say how old the kids are but they do rooms with 2 queen sized beds so you could all bunk in together if the kids did not mind sharing a bed. It was a short walk from there to the empire state building, a reasonable step to the High line and galleries in Chelsea and we even found the West Village and Central Park to be walkable (but then I have teenagers - would probably be too far to walk for littler ones.

Have just come back from a child free trip to NY and this time we stayed at the Archbishop Tutu Conference Centre on 10th Avenue - lovely big rooms although not much else in the way of hotel facilities - but don't know whether they have any family rooms there.

The last time I went to NY (last xmas) I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Tribeca. It was both reasonable and had much bigger rooms than I had come across before in NY. I was pregnant at the time, so didn't have a family with me but saw other families there. It's right by Canal Street subway. Oh and they have cookies every night at 6pm!

We stayed at the fantastic Hotel Giraffe, in a suite. The kids had the sofa bed in the living room. We are not particularly rich (although we only stayed three nights!). The suite was cheaper than standard rooms in some hotels. The Giraffe gets rave reviews on Trip Advisor. It does a free, high quality, breakfast, offers free coffee, lemonade and cookies all day, and most days has a free cheese and wine reception for guests. We've also stayed at the sister Library Hotel, which is far less family friendly, and found the Giraffe to be the same great service and lovely surroundings. It's also very close to Madison Square, and the amazing Shake Shack!

We (two adults and two children aged 9 and 12) stayed in the Intercontinental Barclay (Lexington and W48th) in August. We had ordered a double double room and were upgraded to a suite with two queensize beds in the bedroom. Ideal, centrally located but not terribly cheap and as we hardly spent any time in the hotel room I'm not sure we would stay there again. Also horrendously expensive coffee making facilities in the room. My sister and her family also stayed in NY in August and they stayed at the Salisbury which is W57th (between 6th and 7th Ave). Each room has a kitchenette so you can make your own coffee in the mornings.

If you do stay at the Parker Meridien (or if you don't) a visit to their 'burger joint' is a must - unless you're a vegetarian!

Has anyone ever stayed in an apartment for a week in New York? We are also a family of four and planning to go at Easter. The kids will be 10 and 14 and are NOT keen to share a room with us...Having looked at your hotel suggestions, they all seem very expensive for a week of what I hope will be a lot of sightseeing and fun but not too much time in the hotel.

Any other suggestions very very welcome.

Thanks for all the advice - I think we're going to go for the Beekman Tower option, on the basis of a combination of whats still available, rates, locations and the fact that with the kids the idea of kitchenette type facilities appeals. Will let you know how we get on .......

One last question - whats the best way to do the airport transfers? so we stand the best chance of naively not getting ripped off.

flat fee 45 dollars from jfk. The taxi queue man will hand you a slip of paper, and the taxi will put his meter on a flat fee setting. A few cheeky drivers still around who might try to get around that, but rare. Hold on tight while on the BQE - crazy road.

And - a tip is customary and expected. Five dollars the norm.

There are taxi firms that will give you flat rate + tolls +tip from NYC back to the airport. Happy to send you some numbers if interested. Not sure when you're going but I'm off in a few weeks time and we're going to try the train from EWR to Penn Station, c$11 one way, never done that before but apparently it's pretty quick - and bringing you into Penn is not too far to Beekman in a cab. Will report back if before your trip.

lillyanginger - asking some local contacts on apts, will report bk via PM

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations and advice for New York - which was really helpful.

Can vouch for the Beekman Towers Hotel being family friendly. A small apartment with kitchenette was ideal for dealing with kids waking up at odd hours of the night and plenty spacious enough. It is true that the fixtures and fittings are abit dated, but its in the middle of a refurb' now - which seems to have started with the exterior and communal areas, but will soon be getting to the rooms. The only additional suggestion I'd make is to request a 'room' high up in the block to get away from the Road noise.

Been to NYC a few times but never with a baby so can't help there (was prego last time I went).. One thing I found was that the taxi queue took an hour and to be honest once I'd paid the tip I regretted not pre booking a car to take us in to town.. I think it's about $30 extra and you can only have (I think) 3 suitcases but just something to consider after a long journey with children.. Xx

Hello,

did you already find a hotel?

What time of year are you going to NYC? I have been a couple of times and would be happy to give some tips. (I have a friend working in Manhattan so was lucky enough to pick up a couple of insider tips)

Just get back to me and I would be happy to help.

Kellie :)