60th birthday present - need some inspiration!

Al&Em

Hi all

My mum is going to be 60 in January and have started trying to think of ideas for a birthday present for her - and am not getting very far! Because it's a big birthday I want to get or do something special. Wondered whether anyone had any ideas or recommendations to help me get the ball rolling?

Does she like art/ crafts? If so, what about a painting/ piece of art/ something handmade by a local artist/ craftsperson? There are often local craft fairs around christmas time. Also lots of artists/ craftspeople will take commissions so you can commission a piece of art that will be specific to your mum (includes her name or a place she especially likes etc...)

Or check out Etsy.com

Good luck!

It was my mother in law's 60th back in April and we got her tea at the ritz for 2 and she loved it but she loves that kind of stuff. i think you can get basic afternoon tea or one with champagne and cake for special occasions.

For my mum's 60th a couple of years back, my sister, my dad and I got together to compile a quiz about her. We sent this out to all of her friends and family across the world - mostly questions about silly stories from her past, but the last two were designed to be sentimental - eg what is the thing you love most about her / describe your fondest memory of time spent with her. Respondents could answer as many or as few questions as they liked / could, but everyone had to answer the two last questions. We then compiled this into a presentation which my sister and I made jointly on the night, with a printed copy for her to keep. She ended up with a lot of stuff to make her laugh, plus a long list of her favourite people saying lovely things about her. It worked a treat and is something she treasures to this day.

It was time-consuming to put together (almost as time consuming as this post, sorry!) but a real money-can't-buy gift that I think she'll remember always. We also got her a beautiful pair of silver earrings from Georg Jensen...

There's a local lady who makes gorgeous quilts if she's in to that kind of thing? You can contribute a few pieces of fabric that have particular meaning to your mum / your family. I got one made for a friend recently and she was over the moon with it.

Is there anything she really wants or needs? If not - how about some experiences? For big birthdays in my family we normally have a lunch somewhere - nice restaurant that is child friendly. Then for her main present my mum gets taken out - RHS Wisley followed by lunch, a trip to the theatre preceeded by supper, a drive around Brands Hatch, tea at The Ritz etc etc. She gets treated and we all get memories of great days out with her.

For my mum's 60th last year I got some hand/foot print cermaics made at All Fired Up from the kids. Was also thinking just now that you could organise a pottery-painting or craft-workshop party there for her and close friends / family?

Following on from what 'dutchestatefamily' suggested, check out 'notonthehighstreet.co.uk' for personalised house / special place pictures, word art, special personalised jewellry, carved wooden items etc. It's a fab site for finding that something different but special.

I tried All Fired Up for my Grandmother's 92nd birthday present and it ended in disaster as the plate with the footprints on wasn't fired in time (though it should have been) and now that I have it, it isn't great as there are massive ridges of glaze on it from the firing that they did. I wouldn't risk it for such a "big" birthday, but that's enough of that as I've already had one rant on the EDF :)

For my Mum and Dad's 60th (which are in the same week), we got all the family togther for the day, then the adults went out together in the evening. My parents really valued the time with their family above anything else.

• 2 years later...

I had one of these made for my parents' 40th wedding anniversary -

http://www.55max.com/products/photomontage-canvas

I know a lot of places made things like this now, but the quality is amazing. I got mine over 6 years ago + the prices have come down a lot since then.

Everybody who comes in to the house loves looking at all the different pictures and now my mum is no longer with us it's a lovely reminder + something really beautiful to keep.

I had a lovely weekend at Center Parcs with all the family for my 60th, one of the best presents was a framed textile picture of a family tree with photos printed on fabric of all the children grandchildren etc, dates, lots of interesting embroidery etc it was made by my daughter who is an artist and everyone loves looking at it. Very personal and special. Another friend has a lovely photo of all the family together, and that was about 4 children and 8 grandchildren in a beautiful studio portrait framed. It took some organisation to get everyone together so needs forward planning!