kumon Maths and English: opinions?

One of my children went to Kumon maths because he begged me to go as he loves maths. He only did it for a year but made rapid progress through the levels. He then went onto pass every secondary school entrance exam he did without any other private tutoring and he reckons he wouldn't have passed them without Kumon. I think it is very useful for developing fast mental calculation skills, which sets a good foundation for maths so yes I would recommend it. I think it's best to wait until they are in year 4 unless you can afford it for many years or your child is struggling.

I found Kumon maths was wonderful for my daughter. She started Kumon when she was in Year 2; it was clear that she was very talented in maths, but was not being stretched at all at school, and was getting very bored with the level of work that she was being given. She loved Kumon maths, the speed with which she could move through the levels, and the reward system. My daughter stopped Kumon when she started secondary school, and just didn't have time to get to classes after her long journey from school, but by that time, she was working at several years above her age expected level. She was offered the maximum scholarship to several public schools, and was offered places at state selective schools in Bromley and Wandsworth, and we were all firmly convinced that this was due in part to the way in which her maths ability had been developed by the Kumon system. If the Kumon method is taken seriously, it can have huge benefits, but unless parents and children are prepared to commit to completing the work set every day without fail (and that includes holidays, Christmas Day etc) there is little point to starting it.

My son (year 3) does Kumon English at the herne hill centre. He started it last year so this is his second year.

Chose to do it because he is an August child (one of youngest in year) and he was struggling with literacy. I honestly think it has helped him a great deal. Now on top table for english in class at school etc. I also think some of it is an age thing too.

As Growlybear says you get a booklet to do every day so there is a lot of committment needed. On holidays etc you can take a break if you need to - just let the centre know. I also sometimes get my son to do extra booklets if there is a special day coming up like birthday or christmas etc.

To be honest, he hates doing it so I am not going to pretend he likes it - on the plus side he does his school homework with enthusiasm becuase it is not Kumon!

I would do the maths too but it would work out too expensive as I have another son who will probably start it at some point too.

Hope this helps.

I did kumon for my oldest who was very weak in maths but excelled at everything else. I could see most of the children flourishing, my daughter didn't - and I could see the teacher had met her match. It turned into a battle and a waste of money. I think I can honestly say that we did monday to friday everyday, but left weekends = maybe that is where we went wrong?? Anyway, she is still completely useless at maths but I am beginning to think that there is really nothing we can do - I would rather spend the money on music lessons.

My 13 year old grand daughter did Kumon Maths for about 18 months when about 8/9. Became top of her year in primary school. Now in her 2nd year at secondary - she and a few classmates progressed so rapidly in Maths that she is now doing GCSE Maths work.

It boosted her confidence levels and had a knock on effect on all her other subjects. She sat the entrance exam for a well known grant aided school in Bromley, 1000 kids took part, they took the first 100 who had exam scores in the mid 90% ranges. She did not get in, but came 135 - miles ahead of some of her school friends who had been privately tutored for 2/3 years. My 8 year old grandson is not interested in Maths ( unlike his sister) so he does not go to Kumon classes.