Business idea feedback

Hello Forum,

I'm thinking of setting up a services offering character appearances (see pic) at children's parties, doing a range of things such as:

- Welcoming the guests

- Surprise birthday appearance

- Bring out the birthday cake

- Handing out party bags etc

- Photos opportunity

At my niece's party recently Minnie Mouse (aka me) surprised her by bring out her birthday cake as everyone sang happy birthday and she absolutely loved it. A number of parents thought this was a lovely touch and this has made me wonder if this was a services of potential interest to other children/parents?

The idea being that instead of hiring a party entertainer for 2 hours which can be quite expensive and limited to a specific number of party guest, this would be approx 30-40 minutes appearance at a fraction of the cost, but with all the excitement.

Do you think something like this would work in East Dulwich?

Spread your range beyond East Dulwich. There are lots of families in Brockley/Sydenham/Ladywell/etc with young children and decent enough incomes to spend something special on parties. Your idea sounds like lots of fun. Best of luck. xx

There would be demand for it undoubtedly. Brilliant idea.

The issue would be your fee. Realistically you might spend longer getting there and back than doing the performance. Can you make money at it?! Maybe do a few per Saturday? That would be your busy day presumably?

You would be free to dress up for your own enjoyment in any costume you purchased but not to use the costume of any trade marked / licensed character to make money without the necessary permission and paying a licence fee to the rights owner.

However fab idea, good luck.

Thank you so much for your feedback. After 100+ views and no comments I was beginning to think may be this was a terrible idea.

Saffron, I completely agree with you about including other areas. I thought I would focus on forum users first as my test market - although I know many are not based in Dulwich.

I would say most parties happen between 12-4pm on a Saturday, so I would think I could possibly do approx 3 parties maybe 4 at a push each Saturday?? You all raised very helpful and valued points regarding costs, logistic as well as licensing issues, and this has given me much food for thought. Time to do a bit of research I think.

Fingers crossed, in the not too distant future I will be on the forum posting a new party service!

Thanks again for your thoughts:))

• 2 months later...

Just to let you know, I was shocked to learn that the Happy Birthday song is actually copyrighted (!) - which is why TV channels, etc., have their own birthday songs.

I imagine that if you're selling a service that includes the Happy Birthday song, you could fall foul of PRS issues if someone were feeling like being difficult.

I was looking into using songs likes this recently and the whole licensing with PRS is so confusing and the prices are not even listed on their website and their categories didn't fit what I wanted to do that I have totally given up on using copyrighted songs and have decided to write my own!