Alcohol in 'Curry' Restaurants

DulwichFox

Although not the first Curry House to suggest So....

Swadesh now has a notice in their window saying they will no longer

be serving Alcoholic Drinks.

They will be serving Fruit Juices, soft drinks and Non-Alcoholic Beer..

Should help to boost trade.

I get the feeling certain other outlets may follow suite.

Foxy

Not sure about Swadesh but as Islam forbids the consumption of alcohol

some Muslim restaurant owners have been considering the move to not sell alcohol.

Some are suggesting bringing your own. Others may well adopt a different rule.

We will have to wait and see.

Foxy

There's no indication that you will be able to bring your own to Swadesh, and if the change is for religious reasons then I guess they wouldn't want alcohol drunk on the premises at all?

Surely that will be the death knell for Swadesh? Not sure I would drink anywhere where I couldn't get a bottle of Cobra, unless it was head and shoulders above everywhere else - and although I like Swadesh's food, I'm not sure it's sufficiently good to make me want to go teetotal :))

UncleBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Fox- how will this boost trade?

I Jest..

>Is it a new owner,

Not sure.. Went there recently for a Take Away.

The usual 'Owner'? was not there.

> if not is he re-interpreting? Maybe they have had

> their alcohol licence taken away, or just can't

> afford cost of licence.

Do not know.

Foxy

I don't think it's a new owner.

Apparently last time we were in there they told us they would be stopping selling alcohol.

I'd probably had too much Cobra as I don't remember this :))

I think you can lose your licensee status if you're prosecuted for specific offences.

Just another one to throw into the growing list of possible reasons.

Foxy - why/how do you get the feeling that certain other outlets may follow suite ?

I've no problem with alcohol-free curry houses, it'll be just like India !

Interesting. My experience of booze free curry houses is that they allow you to bring your own.

As Muslims, the owners do not sell or condone the consumption of alcohol, but they wont stop those that wish to drink.

EDIT .. except at Swadesh. No alcohol allowed at all, just called them. They have alcohol free beer.

That's one off the Curry Club rota then.

For a curry houses that is slightly off the beaten track, with occassionally good but patchy food and an ambience that can often be described as subdued, this seems a very strange decision for a business to make

I have no idea what sort of lease they have, but it better be cheap because their takings are about to nosedive

I think it's a positive move myself. Daughter and sibling of alcoholics maybe colours my opinion, but I think alcohol is far too prevalent and in your face.

Swadesh not serving booze would help people trying to abstain when they want a night out. At the moment if you want to avoid alcohol on a night out, it's pretty difficult.

I suspect that normally at least one person in the group will want a drink. It's an integral part of our "eating out" culture. Of course there are other "dry" restaurants in London, but they survive because they're either very good or very cheap. Swadesh are neither. I can't see this working out at all.

On the positive side, maybe it will make space for something a bit more interesting. ED is crying out for some more imaginative dining options.

• 11 months later...

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I've no problem with alcohol-free curry houses,

> it'll be just like India !

xxxxxx

Only parts of India, KK?

And even there, they will sometimes sell you alcohol with a meal as long as you aren't visible to others when drinking it, or at least that was my experience.

ETA: Come to think of it, maybe restaurants likely to be used by people visiting the area.