Burro e Salvia - anybody been?

EFC123

I'm completely intrigued by Burro e Salvia - it's been open a little while now but I never see anyone in there and no one's talking about it on the forum (chicken and egg springs to mind!). Has anyone been, and if so, what was it like?

I've resisted posting about this place for fear of backlash.

I walk past several times a day and have yet to fathom out exactly

What is going on there. On the rare occasions that they appear to be open.

Couple of ladies making ravioli things no customers ever spotted inside.

They must be making money somehow?

Foxy

Big fan of the pasta - can't be bothered making it myself, and it easily beats the fresh pasta you get in Sainsbury's. The take away lasagna is nice. I've never eaten in before.

Their hours for selling pasta are strange though. I went in one evening (around 7pm) to be told that they could only sell me "eat in" food, even though the counter was full of pasta they would have been selling just 2 hours earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been twice, the first time because it was new, although the produce is very fresh the pasta portion feels more like a starter than a main. my second visit I left feeling very resentful at the cost for the amount we had. I think the price point would be fine if the mains were bigger but I suspect the reason its not full in East Dulwich is because it doesn't represent value for money. A different clientele than their Shoreditch branch. I like to support my local restaurants but the price here doesn't make me want to be a regular.

It's a very purist kind of pasta, very seasonal and beautifully made. I've not eaten pasta like it for a long time, and there isn't a supermarket variey that can match it. And the cured meats are specially good.

Personally I let them suggest what to eat and go with it, that way I get to eat things i'd not thought or known of

However, if you want a carbo & sauce heavy "spag bol" style pasta, then this ain't the place for you

As for value for money, it depends how you value what you eat and drink. I'm not sure you can compare Il Mirto and this place, its a bit like saying Fiat over Ferrari

Horses for courses of course

• 4 weeks later...

I wholeheartedly defend Burro e Salvia! These are by far the best pasta I have ever eaten in London - they are of course fresh, and very authentic, and quite different from what you can find in any supermarket (even high-end fresh pasta from Waitrose are drastically below their) - they present all kinds of very regional shapes and types of pasta.

They are hand made, which comes at a price, I admit, but I am delighted to have them on Lordship lane - it is only a better foodie destination with them on the street!