Handyman costs

Hi All,

Advice needed:

I need to hang some pictures and a large mirror. So far, I have had people quote ?50 to ?60/hour, apparently this is the going rate for ED handymen nowadays!

6 pictures plus a mirror = ?120 (or ?10 per nail!!!). A while ago when I had my bathroom done a labourer cost ?50-75 per day.

Am I missing something here? What are others paying?

Do It Yourself videos: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=+video+hang+some+pictures .

Text help should also be widely available.

I know that's not what you asked about, MM, but it is painful to see how basic DIY seems to have declined over the years.

PS: I replaced the display on my Kindle a couple of years ago, simply by following a useful video. If you feel fairly confident after seeing a video that you can do what it shows, I suspect that's probably a goodish indication that you can.

The main thing with picture hanging will, I suspect, be working out what is the structure on which you're trying to hang, and which is the right attachment for doing so.

PS Just seen your post mentioning the weight of the mirror, so I now appreciate that it was that that was the problem.

Was there not a local scheme, possibly council-administered, for local people to register themselves as availble to help each other out with basic small tasks like this one, for just a small payment. I don't remember more, and don't feel up to searching for it atm. But I think that folk on here have also previously mentioned it.

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know that's not what you asked about, MM, but it

> is painful to see how basic DIY seems to have

> declined over the years.

As will yours, once you've done your back in, had your knees give out and found your sight beginning to fail.

An ageing and increasingly isolated population has led to a fairly predatory market in simple household tasks. Happily, we have the internet, which at least allows for the sort of hyper-neighbourliness that worldwiser kindly offered. I am not sure which will win out, but I know what I hope.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I didn't get around to reading all of this!!

Anyway I found a company who organised a guy to come round for ?20 an hour i think....fab service. Would highly recommend. I can't find their details ATM so if you read this pls re-send as i need some more help in July.