Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation
xxxx
www.advancedpainters.co.uk

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageBonne Bouffe, North Cross Road, East Dulwich
Posted by Chief 05 November, 2017 00:20

We have now visited this restaurant several times and always have a brilliant evening. The restaurant is very pretty with exposed brickwork and mood lighting. Crisp white tablecloths and very comfortable pine chairs make for a stylish dining room. We are made to feel very welcome and it is interesting to see the chefs preparing dishes. It's a small, intimate restaurant but with a wonderful ambiance, service but most of all delicous cooking and great wines.

I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant. The level of cooking is excellent!

messageRe: Bonne Bouffe, North Cross Road, East Dulwich
Posted by EDmummy 05 November, 2017 21:06

Been quite a few times. Love most of it but seem to be a bit unlucky on starters. Some seem a bit lacking in content. For example, a lovely big slice of terrine with barely enough cornichons for one mouthful and no bread or crisp bread. Wonít stop me going back but hope they can sort out starters.

Posted by AGW3 08 November, 2018 22:44

I'd like to recommend this restaurant. I had an absolutely wonderful meal here today.

Posted by Peckhampam 09 November, 2018 08:13

Marvellous food and lovely service.

Posted by Calvert 10 November, 2018 10:17

This restaurant is amazing- we always have lovely food and service. They make everything from scratch and itís delicious. The weekend brunch menu is really good and surprisingly an easy place to take children as they are very welcoming

Posted by sheff January 13, 10:26AM

Unfortunately looks like Bonne Bouffe is closing...
A real shame as we always enjoyed it.

Posted by Ann January 13, 07:34PM

Thatís a great shame
The restaurant business is a tough one, I canít think of a single thing they did wrong.

Posted by DulwichFox January 13, 08:05PM

Ann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thatís a great shame
> The restaurant business is a tough one, I canít
> think of a single thing they did wrong.

They were shut Sunday night. Shut on Mondays. Shut on Tuesdays...

If you have to pay high rents and rates then you need to stay open to make any business work.

Posted by juliephilippart January 13, 10:07PM

DulwichFox Wrote:
> Ann Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thatís a great shame
> > The restaurant business is a tough one, I canít
> > think of a single thing they did wrong.
>
>
> They were shut Sunday night. Shut on Mondays. Shut
> on Tuesdays...
>
> If you have to pay high rents and rates then you
> need to stay open to make any business work.

That is not true at all.

The rent can be high but if the business is not working and you don't make money on certain days sometimes is worth closing that day. Paying staff to keep the place open when you don't make money is a solution, all the money you are paying your employees to be there can be saved.

I know it doesn't sound good but it works, this way you are just loosing money on rent.

Some places open just on certain days because that is when they make money and they gain enough to cover rent, pay their staff for those two days and get some profit. If they were to open everyday they probably wouldn't be able to pay rent nor their staff.

Just a genuine question, do you have or work in a hospitality business? If so, if this happened to you, would you not consider doing this? what would you do instead?

Posted by Sue January 14, 12:11AM

Very sorry to hear this.

We hadn't yet eaten there, but they always seemed quite busy whenever we passed sad smiley

Posted by nixlo January 15, 04:07PM

Does anyone know how to contact the owners?

They sold my stepfather some gift vouchers just before Christmas which we were meant to use for a meal out. Not given a lot of chance to use them given they closed on the 12th so keen to try to see if we can get the money back.

Posted by Sue Yesterday, 04:08PM

nixlo Wrote:
> Does anyone know how to contact the owners?
>
> They sold my stepfather some gift vouchers just
> before Christmas which we were meant to use for a
> meal out. Not given a lot of chance to use them
> given they closed on the 12th so keen to try to
> see if we can get the money back.

If the premises were rented, the same landlord owns more than one of the shops in North Cross Road, so you could try asking around the other shops just in case he owns this one? If so, they should have his contact details, and he should have Bon Bouffe's?

Alternatively, if there is an occupied flat about the (ex) restaurant, try asking there? Or ask the adjacent shops?

It seems a bit bad that they didn't tell your stepfather they were closing, but maybe it was a sudden decision (or one not made by them).

Good luck.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum