Liam Mullone and other E D comics in Ed

So I'm perusing the Fringe programme decided what tosh to waste my money on this year. I see there's a chap called Liam Mullone appearing and he comes from East Dulwich. I sort of feel like I should see him seeing as we live in the same town (god knows how that works). Does anyone know him or more importantly know if he's any good?

Failing that any other East Dulwich comics on at the Fringe?

Don't know if Mickey Flanagan is up there again - would guess so as he was nominated in the if.comedy award last year. Is v v nice bloke to boot.

Would suggest leaving some free time to catch show's that get a buzz about them once their up there, plus late n live is felt to be bit past it (now in huge room at the gilded ballon which means it doesn't have the same atmosphere), while Phat Cave which is also at the guilded ballon seems to have more of the old late n live.

Not going this year (pre wedding economising :'() so got to make up for it with previews.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am Liam Mullone so thought I might respond to this...

Micky Flanagan isn't doing a Fringe show this year, he's resting on last year's laurels. Neither is the dour Dougie Dunlop, of Forest Hill Road, and of course the great Alun Cochrane moved out of Dawson Heights and back to Manchester when he became a father last year. But he is doig a show, at the Assembly Rooms, and will no doubt sell out.

But... the very funny Michael Fabbri, from East Dulwich Grove, is doing his debut at the Underbelly. His stuff cuts a very neat line through whimsical and twisted. And take a look at ED's own Stuart Goldsmith, who is appearing with Richard Sandling in Kiosk of Champions. Stuart is one of the best and most personable comedy MCs to emerge in recent years. I'm sure there are others I can't think of at the mo...

It's very decent of you, Jamma, to want to support East Dulwich comics - but needless to say, check if the show they're doing is your sort of thing because, thanks to huge venue hire prices, ticketed shows are expensive. Stuart's show is part of the free Fringe, which is now huge - you just have to know what's what to sort the wheat from the chaff.

We're all doing previews in London at the moment - if I may briefly plug one of my own, I'm doing a supercheap, select preview to 30 people only (no more will fit in!) at the tiny Essex Serpent, Covent Garden, on July 24. For a fiver you can see the very excellent Hils Barker: Exhibitionist! too. We're both appearing at the Gilded Balloon this year. I'll keep a seat for anyone who would like to drop by. Late July previews (should) mean you're seeing the show as it will appear on stage, if constricted by a tiny stage!

Apparently it's going to be a hot Edinburgh this year, so if you're going... pace yourself!

blimey didn't know Michael Fabbri was so local... saw him at my mate's club last year and he made me double over with laughter - going to Latitude (in less than 2 wks :))) and he's on my must see list... don't think I've had the pleasure of seeing you Mr Mullone - but will look out for you! x

Forgot to mention... Josie Long, who needs no introduction, lives on the South Peckham/East Dulwich borders and she will be back in full force with All Of The Planet's Wonders at the Pleasance Courtyard.

I've seen Liam Mullone at Banana Cabaret in Balham. He's brilliant - he stands out as an intelligent comic, definitely not your run of the mill stuff.

I'm just debating whether to go up to Edinburgh this year. If I don't, I would love to catch your preview show!

Liam, thanks for your advice on checking the programme etc but I've tried a different system every year and still end up seeing about 50% dross each year (apart from last year when we went for a Stewart Lee themed programme - Stewart Lee, Josie Long, Richard Herring, Late but Live)! On an East Dulwich theme this year we have Kitson's theatre piece and Josie Long already booked up so got a couple of bankers there, by the law of averages does that mean Mullone and Fabbri will be guff?!

re: 50% guff - This will only be my second year but this year I'm going for a whole week so intend to check out a lot more stuff

Last time I was so genuinely enthused by the energy around me that, whilst I still recognised guff , I didn't mind it too much and just added it ot a mental list of lessons learned.

Who was particularly bad btw? Choosing a Stewart Lee theme means you know your good stuff

SMG - when you heading to Edinburgh? Maybe heading there for a short while in August to stay with mates, depends on work really. Actually heading there this weekend for a stag with some of the Barry Barry Runners - It'll be barry likesay, ken wit eh mean!