Whats happening with some dog owners.....?

I've been noticing this for a while but today was so bad I wanted to post something.

There is such an increase in the amount of dog poo left lying around on the pavement its getting horrible. Today on Dunstans Rd, Forest Hill Rd, the back roads and loads on Barry Road. Also Goodrich Rd - just so awful with all the children going to and from school.

I do a lot of walking and I really have noticed it getting worse.

Come on lazy dog owners - you're shaming the masses of considerate ones who wouldnt dream of leaving their dogs mess like that.

I feel for I guess its the road sweepers who will have to deal with it on their rounds - yuk. But inbetween times it means we all are spending more time checking the pavement than we should be

Absolutely no excuse. I picked-up a massive pile near my front gate the other morning, it was so big that the dog must have had size and surely couldn't have gone unnoticed by the owner who (you have to presume) was walking it on lead !

agree Miss T those roads are shocking and I have moaned about this before. I'm with Dimples - a fellow dog owner who is fed up with this. I think the friern road/goodrich areas are the same lazy owner. It's not on - but how the heck to catch these offenders??

tiddles Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> agree Miss T those roads are shocking and I have

> moaned about this before. I'm with Dimples - a

> fellow dog owner who is fed up with this. I think

> the friern road/goodrich areas are the same lazy

> owner. It's not on - but how the heck to catch

> these offenders??

Thats the problem - truthfully if i witnessed someone walking away after their dog messed i think i would quickly try and suss out if i could shout "are you just going to leave that there?" - but its reasonable to assume that the type of person who doesnt pick up after their dog might be the type of person to tell me to eff off.

KidKruger Wrote:

> miss T that's not a reasonable assumption at all,

> it's a lazy assumption.

> Anyway, if you're going to remind someone about

> picking up their dog's poo, who cares if they say

> eff off - the point would be telling them wouldn't

> it ?

not lazy because i will still do it - but does someone saying eff off mean they will clean it up next time - course not.

the point isnt just telling them, its making the ones who are guilty of leaving their dog mess on the street, clean it up, snd it will take someone brighter than me come up with a way to do thst

I would certainly point out that they need to pick up - surely it's the law?

If you get a mouthful - well, not nice but ultimately they are in the wrong not you.

As a dog owner I feel ok about saying to someone "do you need a bag? " and give them the chance to do the right thing.

also I'm a mad middle aged lady so I'm always

Spoiling for a fight....

tiddles Wrote:

> I would certainly point out that they need to pick

> up - surely it's the law?

> If you get a mouthful - well, not nice but

> ultimately they are in the wrong not you.

> As a dog owner I feel ok about saying to someone

> "do you need a bag? " and give them the chance to

> do the right thing.

> also I'm a mad middle aged lady so I'm always

> Spoiling for a fight....

lol - ditto and thats certainly what i intend to do - but the odds of catching them in the act as it were are slight - judging from the amount, literally of crap, that was strewn about the place today.

There are a large number of dog owners in the area and most likely it's the same minority not clearly after their dog on a daily basis. It is an offence that brings a fine and can lead to prosecution but it's difficult for officers to catch dog owners in the act!

If you spot some dog mess you can report it on the Southwark website for removal, the link is below:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/street-care/dog-fouling

Renata

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

> There are a large number of dog owners in the area

> and most likely it's the same minority not clearly

> after their dog on a daily basis. It is an offence

> that brings a fine and can lead to prosecution but

> it's difficult for officers to catch dog owners in

> the act!

>

> If you spot some dog mess you can report it on the

> Southwark website for removal, the link is below:

>

> http://www.southwark.gov.uk/street-care/dog-foulin

> g

>

> Renata

For the time being it's no longer and offence as the dog fouling of land act has been repealed.

As a councillor, I am surprised you didn't know.

omgwtfpwn Wrote:

> Renata Hamvas Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > There are a large number of dog owners in the

> area

> > and most likely it's the same minority not

> clearly

> > after their dog on a daily basis. It is an

> offence

> > that brings a fine and can lead to prosecution

> but

> > it's difficult for officers to catch dog owners

> in

> > the act!

> >

> > If you spot some dog mess you can report it on

> the

> > Southwark website for removal, the link is

> below:

> >

> >

>

> > g

> >

> > Renata

>

> For the time being it's no longer and offence as

> the dog fouling of land act has been repealed.

>

> As a councillor, I am surprised you didn't know.

Wiki says https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_(Fouling_of_Land)_Act_1996

"It was repealed by Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 section 65,

and replaced by similar legislation in the same act. "

anyway Southwark have byelaws that themselves are changing.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/street-care/dog-fouling

unless that webpage is out of date ???

Not true. It's still an offence. Councils may impose stricter rules but it's definitely an offence.

omgwtfpwn Wrote:

> Renata Hamvas Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > There are a large number of dog owners in the

> area

> > and most likely it's the same minority not

> clearly

> > after their dog on a daily basis. It is an

> offence

> > that brings a fine and can lead to prosecution

> but

> > it's difficult for officers to catch dog owners

> in

> > the act!

> >

> > If you spot some dog mess you can report it on

> the

> > Southwark website for removal, the link is

> below:

> >

> >

>

> > g

> >

> > Renata

>

> For the time being it's no longer and offence as

> the dog fouling of land act has been repealed.

>

> As a councillor, I am surprised you didn't know.

omgwtfpwn Wrote:

> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/20/conten

> ts

>

> It has been for quite some time. Last time I

> checked council was replacing it with something

> different which may be the reason why they did a

> dog survey recently. Until then, it's

> unenforceable unfortunately.

but that was replace by http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/16/contents see part 6

edit: which seems to push out to councils ??

edit again :) which to be fair is what the southwark link refers to - and I know changes are incoming there.

omgwtfpwn Wrote:

> The link refers to a PSPO which Southwark doesn't

> currently have. Currently, in Southwark, dog

> fouling is unenforceable.

Were that the case why does the PSPO section refer to being fined ?100 on the spot, while the dog fouling section refers to councils fining ?50 to ?80? ETA and why does Southwark's website say it can fine offenders ?50 if it can't? http://www.southwark.gov.uk/street-care/dog-fouling

This is so confusing :)

Looks like consultation is going through re: Dog Control Orders in some areas

This bit of the website looks like it should be changed as that law was repealed "the Dog (Fouling of Land) Act 1996 applies to all public areas in the country, and allows councils to issue Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) to owners who don't clean up after their dog"

There still seem to be byelaws in addition to the rest "additional to our park byelaws, we also have dog related byelaws (pdf, 56kb) which specify where dogs must be kept on leads and dog prohibited areas"

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/parks-and-open-spaces/dogs-in-parks

John L,

The Council already has a range of enforcement measures available which it chooses not to use. Some think the real reason for DCOS is it gives the council opportunity to completely ban dogs from more areas of public park space than would currently be possible. It has been said that there are some extremely anti dog folk at Southwark Council HQ.