Scammers operating in ED.

Pugwash

An elderly couple I know were visited by a man who claimed to live/work in a house backing onto their garden who felt he may have dug into one of their pipes/electric cables. and asked them to check whether their electricity was working - he followed the woman into the house before she could shut the door on him. He heard a male voice (husband) and quickly went out- the woman went to shut the main door and found another man outside who offered to clear her garden, this was refused by the woman. This was last week and my friend was aware that this was a scam.

Today I found that another male turned up and said he was going to chop down the tree in front of the house as he had been informed that the couple wanted this done (they did). The tall shrub was cut down but the couple were charged ?380 in cash.

My friends felt it was a bit steep but had got the job done. We all advised her to report this to our ward police officers which she did. The job took less than an hour (the shrub was rotting so the roots came out quickly) and should not have cost more that ?80.

Unfortunately, this couple have been the victims of previous scams over the past 10 years and it is clear that a gang is operating in the area. The chap cutting the shrub was different to the previous 2 last week. The lady in question is hard of hearing and her husband has severe health problems.

Please warn all vulnerable and/or elderly friends and neighbour about this local scam.

This happened to my elderly neighbour's a couple of years ago. A guy turned up at their door, stating his garden backed onto theirs, a problem with the 'joint'sewer and job would cost ?5000 which they had to pay half. My neighbour's are pretty savvy but were convinced by their story. I only found out after they had already parted with ?2000 and the con men came and demanded more. My neighbour was still convinced the story was true but didn't know how to raise the money. I knew it wasn't, as our sewers run into the road and not our gardens and I went to the address the guy stated he lived at. Of course he didn't live there so when they phoned again, demanding money, I took the call and they soon disconnected. Th police were brilliant but said this was a well known scam. The scammers either watch roads and identify where the elderly live (as they are easier to scam) or they look at the electoral register to check ages of occupants and target accordingly. Absolutely sickening

tasha1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This happened to my elderly neighbour's a couple

> of years ago. A guy turned up at their door,

> stating his garden backed onto theirs, a problem

> with the 'joint'sewer and job would cost ?5000

> which they had to pay half. My neighbour's are

> pretty savvy but were convinced by their story. I

> only found out after they had already parted with

> ?2000 and the con men came and demanded more. My

> neighbour was still convinced the story was true

> but didn't know how to raise the money. I knew it

> wasn't, as our sewers run into the road and not

> our gardens and I went to the address the guy

> stated he lived at. Of course he didn't live there

> so when they phoned again, demanding money, I took

> the call and they soon disconnected. Th police

> were brilliant but said this was a well known

> scam. The scammers either watch roads and identify

> where the elderly live (as they are easier to

> scam) or they look at the electoral register to

> check ages of occupants and target accordingly.

> Absolutely sickening

evil b******s This makes me so angry about the greed and evil in some of our so called human race.

Not constructive I know but I hope these scammers loose everything and rot in a living hell

tasha1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The scammers either watch roads and identify

> where the elderly live (as they are easier to

> scam) or they look at the electoral register to

> check ages of occupants and target accordingly.

> Absolutely sickening

Just to reassure people, you can?t check ages on the electoral register. The only birthdate information that is given is for rising 18s - to determine when they will be eligible to vote during the publication year of a particular register.

Completely agree with the ?absolutely sickening? comment of course.

The best thing we can all do is make ourselves known to - and talk to - our neighbours and instill a sense of community.

Especially if you live next to someone old and vulnerable.

This is thoroughly disgusting behaviour and my nan has also been exposed to the type that prey on the vulnerable. Her 'friend' from bingo would walk her home and items started going missing, she would borrow items never to return them - money, dvd players etc etc. even stealing expensive ornaments and rearranging the others to cover any gaps.

My mum called the police but my nan was too upset that this had even happened to allow them to follow up. a few stern - I know what's going on - words later and that woman has kept her distance but still hovers. it makes me sick.

We now have caring watchful neighbours keeping an eye on my nearly 100year nan, when she's out and about - who she talks to etc. and reporting back if anything is amiss.

We are very lucky - and thankful - in that respect.

As well as reporting to the Police you can contact Social Services and they can investigate under their Vulnerable Adults Policy. The new Care Act places a duty on local authorities to investigate concerns raised even if the abused person is not receiving services fro social services.