Nuisance Neighbour is making life unbearable - Remedies?

I have ongoing issues with the only council tenants in which resides on our street. The family are loud, abusive, throw rubbish, intimidating, noisy, weyward and rude. I have contacted their council housing officer who claimed he will have a meeting with them referring them to their tenancy agreement. The problems mentioned above have escalated. Can I enlist my MP, local Councillor or Omnisbund ? Please help 😣

Springer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Only council tennants is that really necessary ?

No need to search for offence. The meaning of the sentence is clear: they are the only council tennants on the street. Not "they are only council tennats".

It would have been suffice to say that they are council tenants - it would allude to steering a particular course of action, rather than private tenants, where you would have to do different things (contact landlord etc). All complaints against private tenants have to be investigated by the LL.

However it comes across not like that at all - the only tenants causing a problem are council tenants - it's a bit of a snobby dig actually.

The course of action for complaints against council tenants is well documented.

Springer Wrote:

> Only council tennants is that really necessary ?

If you read the entire post , it is obvious that both the grammar and spelling are a bit iffy. Weyward? Omnusbund?

There is a scheme in the borough of Islington where working people can rent council flats in 'rough' blocks. The idea is that the working people set an example to the others.

Maybe Southwark are placing council tenants in the wonderfully civilised streets of East Dulwich to try and 'tame' them?

I have a very similar problem in my street with owner-occupiers who constantly scream at each other....I almost called the police yesterday...

At a recent meeting of our SN police Team, we had the anti social behaviour officer in attendance. She and SNT gave the following information (see below)

The Southwark noise and nuisance team deals with all noise complaints, as well as other nuisances such as smells, dust, fumes and light. When a complaint is made officers aim to attend within 60 minutes to ascertain if the noise is legally a nuisance. This is determined if the noise would prevent someone sleeping at night or having a conversation/watching TV during the day time. Please note that service cannot deal with noise from traffic, trains and Planes or loud footsteps.

Nuisances we can deal with

We can deal with:

?Amplified music

?TV

?Parties

?Nightclubs and pubs including people outside making noise

?DIY home renovation

?Construction sites

?Barking dogs

?Alarms

?Odours and fumes from commercial properties

?Smoke

?Emissions and noise from works and equipment in the street

We can?t deal with:

?Traffic, trains and planes

?Some domestic noises

?Footsteps within homes__

Who the service is for: Residents within the borough of Southwark.

A nuisance is something that would prevent the average person being able to use their property for a normal use at that time of day.

All complaints are completely confidential. Even, if the person is prosecuted, it is the council that takes them to court because as an officer as witnessed the nuisance. They will not find out who has complained.

How to access: The service is available between the following hours:

Monday: 7am to 2.30am next day

Tuesday: 7am to 2.30am next day

Wednesday: 7am to 2.30am next day

Thursday : 7am to 2.30am next day

Friday: 7am to 5pm & 6.30pm to 4am

Saturday: 7am to 5pm & 6.30pm to 4am

Sunday: 8am to 2.30am

We work seven days a week and will aim to be with you in 60 minutes. This may vary due to seasonal demands. Please check the availability of the service at the time of your call.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/noise-and-antisocial-behaviour

0207 525 5777

[email protected]

Southwark Council

PO BOX 64529

London

SE1P 5LX

==========================================================

7. Ensure incidents are reported to appropriate organisations, i.e. crimes to Police, Noise & Nuisance to Noise & Nuisance team only, ASB re Southwark council tenants to Southwark Council, ASB re housing association tenants to Housing Association Group who own the property.

You could also report directly to Southwark Council ASB Officer: Ms Ninilola Lakoja

E: [email protected]

Hope this helps.

It is worthwhile remembering that people frequently post here in the heat of the moment, without judiciously reviewing every word they have written to ensure each nuance is as they would have wanted it. My advice, in a work context, was always to assume that anyone reading an email (but it would be the same for a post) would view it in the worst possible light and thus to write only and exactly what your meant to be read, assuming that if it could be taken wrongly it would be.

We should perhaps allow our fellow posters some leeway and not leap to interpret everything as being fully intentioned. Only if the 'offence' is repeated should it be taken to heart.

We lived on a street in East Dulwich which only had two council properties left. One of them was occupied by a family who made life hell for their neighbours with anti-social behaviour of various kinds. The lowpoint for us came when the man of the house physically assaulted my partner because he was unhappy that we parked our car outside his house (he seemed to think he owned the street). We took them to court; he didn't turn up, wasting everyone's time. Of course you mustn't generalise but it does seem like a depressingly familiar scenario.

• 4 weeks later...

The first sentence of the OP says it all really....

'I have ongoing issues with the only council tenants in which resides on our street. '- that is NOT 'proper English' for a start!

John Major and Edward Heath both lived in council houses in their youth....unfortunately the public school educated Tony Crosland, Labour minister, got rid of grammar schools (although that did not stop Harriet Harman from shunning Kingsdale school to send her son to one in Kent) which meant that the vast majority of clever kids from the working classes have had no real lifeline out of their impoverished start in life since.

My theory is that if you don't educate the poverty- stricken masses then they will be easily fooled into voting Labour

much like people were fooled into believing in god and an after life for the previous 2,000 years

Actually, the way you go about complaining about anti-social behaviour is altered by the status of the people being complained about. Complaints about Council and social housing tenants can first be directed to their landlord, who may take action based on their (landlord's) requirements for acceptable behaviour from their tenants. That would be different for e.g. owner occupiers. The stated fact that these are 'the only' council tenants on the street is less relevant.

mimifantasia87 Wrote:

> jcon123 - want to slap you. sorry not sorry. stuck

> up rude comment!! could have just said neighbours.

> what difference does it make if their council

> tenants?

Well said!!

Whatever their property rights Southwark Council has SASBU - Southwark Anti Social behaviour Unit - to help in such cases. I would contact the local Police officers in thE SafeR Neighbourhood Team or a local councillor to get the bal rolling in parallel to making noise complaints. If this fails to get traction contact me via PM for further advice.