Can You Help? - Dalek found in East Dulwich 1973

I wonder if anyone can help with some information?

I'm doing some research for a feature that's going to be going on one of the BBC's DVDs of the classic Doctor Who series, looking at the links between the series and the other long-standing series, Blue Peter.

Back in June 1973, two Daleks were stolen from outside BBC Television Centre and their disappearance was publicised on Blue Peter that week. The next day, the two Daleks were recovered with help from viewers - one turning up in Ealing and the other in East Dulwich. The following Monday, Blue Peter did another report about their recovery which included Peter Purves interviewing one police constable Forward from the East Dulwich station. I've been asked to see if we could trace PC Forward in the hope that we can do a quick interview with him, but it's difficult tracing people when you don't know their first name!

Can anyone tell me if there was a local newspaper that specifically served the East Dulwich area back in 1973 as I'm hoping that the story may have been carried in the newspaper in greater depth than the brief pieces that appeared in the nationals? If so, is their any local history centres or archives that might carry copies?

Alternatively, if anyone knew or indeed still knows the Forward family (assuming they lived in the area), then do let me know!

Richard

i'm sure you've done already this...

but i'd but go to south london metropolitan police press office and ask for help. they'll either have a list of retired or working officers. they should then be able to put you in touch with some network of retired officers or tell you if he's still working.

it's a great story, who nicked it i wonder...

The producer of this particular feature has contacted the police pensions department, who are trying to provide some help, but they are a bit...slow! :)

The Dalek was actually found some three hours after the original alert on Blue Peter. Mr Hardy of Champion Hill had come out of his house to find an extra shape under the tarpaulin that was covering his sports car. No guesses as to what it was!

I'll certainly check in to see if the South London Press covered the story, so thanks for that.

Richard

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Hmmm, millions of animals are killed each year to eat in this country.  10,000 animals (maybe many more) reared to be eaten by exotic pets, dissected by students, experimented on by cosmetic and medical companies.  Why is this any different? Unless you have a vegan lifestyle most of us aren't in a position to judge.  I've not eaten meat for years, try not to buy leather and other animal products as much as possible but don't read every label, and have to live with the fact that for every female chick bred to (unaturally) lay eggs for me to eat, there will be male that is likely top be slaughtered, ditto for the cow/milk machines - again unnatural. I wasn't aware that there was this sort of market, but there must be a demand for it and doubt if it is breaking any sort of law. Happy to be proved wrong on anything and everything.
    • I don't know how spoillable food can be used as evidence in whatever imaginary CSI scenario you are imagining.  And yes, three times. One purchase was me, others were my partner. We don't check in with each other before buying meat. Twice we wrote it off as incidental. But now at three times it seems like a trend.   So the shop will be hearing from me. Though they won't ever see me again that's for sure.  I'd be happy to field any other questions you may have Sue. Your opinion really matters to me. 
    • If you thought they were off, would it not have been a good idea to have kept them rather than throwing them away, as evidence for Environmental Health or whoever? Or indeed the shop? And do you mean this is the third time you have bought chicken from the same shop which has been off? Have you told the shop? Why did you buy it again if you have twice previously had chicken from there which was off? Have I misunderstood?
    • I found this post after we just had to throw away £14 of chicken thighs from Dugard in HH, and probably for the 3rd time. They were roasted thoroughly within an hour of purchase. But they came out of the oven smelling very woofy.  We couldn't take a single bite, they were clearly off. Pizza for dinner it is then. Very disappointing. 
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In