Drive to Stansted - how long?

Took me just under an hour last week, that was before 7am... peckham,/tower bridge/bethnal green/ M11. Much longer in day traffic I should think. Parking in long stay? leave yourself a good 45 minutes to get from car park to airport.

On a normal day, outside rush hour, it's 1 hour via Blackwall Tunnel, maybe a bit quicker if you put your foot down between the speed cameras on the A12. Having said that, I always allow an extra 1/2 hour because there are so many potential traffic blackspots - last time I went through the Blackwall Tunnel some poor sod had broken down half way through.

I'd suggest heading through the Rotherithe tunnel, straight across the junction with the A13, then round the back of mile end park, onto St Pauls Way and out onto the A120 (the road that comes out of the Blackwall Tunnel but about 1 mile further up).

Cuts out alot of the queues and never seems too busy. Would give it an hour to get out to Stanstead but then I'm always cautious with journey times!!

About an hour if you avoid traffic jams/tunnel closures - I'd go via Rotherhithe tunnel, then left and left and left again into the Limehouse Link tunnel which takes you right to the bottom of the A12 (follow signs to Blackwall, weirdly) and then it's dual carriageway/motorway all the way. Worth checking before you set off whether any of the tunnels are closed - I've had a couple of trips turn into frantic panicky dashes because Rotherhithe was shut.

If you're going for more than a week or so, it's worth considering a minicab - about ?45-?55 each way, compared to about ?50 for the long-term car park plus petrol costs if you drive, and it means you avoid the 45 minutes or so each way waiting for/on the shuttle bus.

Hi,

If you go via Rotherhythe/Stratford/North Circular/M11 you will find it takes more than an hour. I travel that route and have found it takes an hour to the M25/M11 junction (if I obey speed limits).

Have you thought of going by coach, you can board at either Stratford (non stop) or from Victoria if you do not have to much luggage. At Stratford you can buy a ticket on the coach and I believe that they have different routes in case of problems.

Enjoy your break!

Regards,

Libra Carr.