Intruder Dulwich / East Dulwich

lozzyloz

Just a warning to keep an eye on a Chinese man that I surprised in my back garden an hour ago. I'm at the Dulwich library end of ED.

He got a shock when I challenged him and (I'm not joking) offered to sell me a DVD before scarpering. He had come round the back of the house and through a closed (but not locked) gate and was half way down the garden towards the shed when I discovered him.

Mid 30's, about 5' 4", dark hair, black jacket and trousers with an Orangey coloured crumpler style shoulder bag.

No actual crime was committed apart from trespass as far as I can see and he's possibly just casing out places.

You're quite right PR and I have. They were brilliant. I reported it on the local non serious crime number (0300 123 1212).

I wasn't expecting a visit but within 15 mins I had two police in an unmarked car come round to get details who then went of on scan of the area. They reckon these guys often pass on details to colleagues who then carry out the burglaries.

We've been having quite a lot of building work lately and the builders say that a couple of ladders and power tools have recently gone walkabout. Not saying the incidents are connected but it's worth being extra vigilant and making sure you're properly secure and not having a ruined Christmas.

Property marking kits come with stockers for doors and windows saying the property within a house/flat has been property marked. The markings are unique to each kit and show up in UV light - you paint the stuff on.

If the marked property is removed it will always have this marking.

If the thief or recipients ever bump into the Police or have a visit from the Police they will be caught.

Only truly stupid theifs ignore the stickers. Only truly stupid fences would'nt check for this.

Hope that makes sense sophiesofa.

Hi lozzyloz,

The other ward councillors I've persuaded to allocate money toward crime prevention are Lib Dem colleagues in north Southwark.

You could buy privately as I did from Selectamark and look for SelectaDNA (I bought myself one as felt a bit of a conflict of interest to give my self a kit paid for by tax payers). They cost ?50 retail.

PS. nice photos on your website.

Loz, i mentioned select DNA during the past year, the police gave me one for free and said that they are available for free, back then. Also, you are advertising your services and address on here, surely that would make you an easier target for these these douchebags, if they are reading the forum?

I asked the police for one of these kits last time the topic came up on the Forum (a couple of months ago) and were told that there weren't any more currently available but they were hoping to re-order.

There was a piece on the news earlier too about making sure that you don't put the pressies under the tree (which is likely somewhere visible) too early since it's easier for the bad guys to scoop them all up.

Just to let you know that this man is quite well known. He was hanging around the front gardens of Hindmans road last year...not really doing anything in particular and said hello when he saw me staring at him. Apparently he does sell DVD's and is known to the police for this.

I drove aroung the block to make sure he wasnt doubling back into my house but he wasnt, he was in someone elses garden by then. Someone said that he had stashed his DVD's somewhere but had forgotten which garden!!!You did right to tell the police!

I had some building work done a few months ago, so my front door was ajar whilst the builders went to and fro and were working in the kitchen. I came down my stairs to find the guy described by the OP in my hall, when challenged he offered to sell some dodgy DVDs!

• 2 weeks later...

EmmaG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to sound thick but if I were a burglar the

> first thing I'd do is invest in a property marking

> kit and then put my own mark on whatever I was

> nicking. I don't get how it prevents burglary.

You've spotted a slight flaw, but I don't think it's a serious one. If there's evidence against the suspect and he can't produce any receipts then he may be bang to rights anyway.

But if the item has already been marked it would then have two markings; one of the person who the police already suspect of burglary and another of a victim of a burglary who has reported the fact to the police. It would be unnecessary to involve Inspector Morse at this juncture.

I presume the crime-fighting idea behind the kits is that if enough people use them, any stolen item is likely to have the details of its owner indelibly and invisibly marked upon it. This would make said item difficult to fence and a bit too hot to keep about the house for the villain's own use. Therefore burglary isn't worth the risk.

Keep 'em peeled.