New Parking Restrictions East Dulwich Road

suzyq

Hi everyone,

I came home from shopping the other day and noticed that sheets of paper had been attached to the lampposts in East Dulwich Road - the slip road side that runs behind Goose Green. Upon further inspection of one of these sheets it appears that Southwark Council are changing the parking allocations in this part of East Dulwich Road. As a resident here I was a bit concerned as parking is at a premium down this part ED Road at the best times so I rang the contact number given on the paper.

It would appear that they are now going to implement staggered parking bays down each side of this part of ED Road and double yellow lines in between the bays. Oh boy! This is going to cause some serious problems for us residents and guess what they don't care - just so long as a fire engine can get down the road, the rest of us have to suck it! Now whilst I appreciate that fire engines have to have access - why don't they just use the double gates and drive down the green if they need to reach a property?? Or is this idea just to radical and commonsensical??

I was told my the council that the decision to implement this has been made and basically we can do nothing about it - so if you're unlucky enough to live in the middle section of ED Road and can't find a parking space you have at least a half mile walk to get home - lucky you!

Any comments anyone?

suzyq Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> fire engines ... - why don't they just

> use the double gates and drive down the green if

> they need to reach a property??

Assuming this isn't a wind-up, it's a daft idea. It's simply a case of fire engines can't get to properties so the council do something about it.

Hi Sue,

The part of East Dulwich Road affected, north side of Goose Green, is in South Camberwell ward and although part of East Dulwich not part of East Dulwich ward. Your South Camberwell Labour and Green Party councillors will have been asked to make the decision several times and a public consultation would have been involved. One of the powers the Lib Dems devolved to local councillors at local Community Councils.

Without wanting to second guess why council and fire officers asked for this change. Many of the houses along this road have been highly sub divided - Houses of Multiple Occupation. Such highly sub dividied properties are much much more likely to result in fires where people die. Sometimes multiple deaths. On this basis ensuring fire engines can gain access seems a sensible, if painful for drivers, precaution. Apparently 5% of UK population live in HMO's but 35% of fire deaths and 40% of fire injuries for people living s in HMO's. Total 600 fire deaths and 18,000 fire injuries a year in the UK.

Your suggestion of allowing fire enginer access across Goose Green is appealing but with two lines of parked cars between Goose Green and the houses would'nt actually mean fire fighters could get ladders and kit quickly into the right place. It would also probably result in more restrictions and fewer public events on Goose Green - which would be a shame.

I'd also guess that the pavement after this change could be returned fully to pedestrians which would make walking along here more pleasant and feasible for those with prams and buggies, etc.

Hi Crokes,

The decision was taken by Camberwell councillors at 21 October Camberwell Community Council. It followed a site visit in September with the Peckham watch fire engine. The Officers report states that if a fire were to occur the London Fire Brigade would send four fire appliances.

When will the change happen? I would expect before the end of March ie the next 10 weeks.