Beer Prices in East Dulwich (Lounged)

JohnL

OK - I know the government wants to increase these - but tonight got charged 3.80 at the bishop (Italian lager) and 3.15 at the EDT (Fosters). I just came back from Birmingham, and Broad Street is charging 1.50 a pint, Swansea (Hometown) charges just under 2.00. Are we paying premium prices - I can't afford this more than once a fortnight- and I'm not getting anything special. I did find a pub in the Old Kent Road that did 2.40 a pint.

Can't go on at these prices without changing my habits :)

Pub prices, esp in London are absolutely stupid but ?3.80? That takes the piss completely!

If you talk to any landlord, especially in London, they will tell you how thin the margin is in the trade. Many pubs have been affected by the double whammy of an economic slowdown and smoking ban coupled with increasing overheads. If they are unable to increase volumes to survive then the only other alternative is to hike prices. It's far more attractive to sell to developers and become nice key worker apartments.

Yup, what lozzyloz says.

Tho I do see quite a few landlords with nice expensive cars in their driveways these days.

But for the most part in quite a lot of the pubs I see, they're struggling, and like most other businesses and services, the chains are winning.

I have a lot of these little white stamps that I will gladly swap for a specific kind of blue stamp. After each transaction, as is gentlemanly, I will offer you a beer. (A pint of Guinness or Red Stripe served nice and cold)

You are welcome to sit in my dinning room or on the patio to drink it. You are also welcome to smoke and put whatever music you would like on or watch whatever you would like on the telly.

The blue (and white if you want them) stamps are purely decorative items available via a completely unrelated e-mail order service in sheets of 20 or more at a cost of ?1.80 a stamp.

I have just returned from a sojourn in Manchester - while there I purchased three gin and tonics and it came to ?17. I was flabbergasted - and in the north too. Granted I was in a terrible bar at the time (footballers n that) but still - it ain't just ED beer prices.

However, when I went to my uncle's wake at a working man's club in Wigan, I got change for 4 drinks from a fiver. this gives me an idea for Inside 72 (actually not sure what type of "working man" would frequent an ED bar)

There are plenty of places for cheap beer in London. Corrib bar on Camberwell New Rd has a black board outside advertising its ?1.80 a pint Fosters... go there. Its a sh*t hole and you might not come out alive, but if cheap is what you want...

There are, conversely, plenty of places in Birmingham (and up North in general) that charge around ?3.80 for a premium imported beer.

Fact is that to pay rent, staff properly, maintain a decent environment etc is expensive - more so in London - and therefore margins must be met. Also, The Bishop is tied to Green King - so they can't shop around for beer at cheaper prices.

If you don't like it, drink in the Corrib.