Beer Prices in East Dulwich (Lounged)

JohnL

Yeah, I was forced to meet people in Slug & Lettuce Borough the other night, yards away from the George (which has always been a very pricey pub, tourist trap and all, just buy lager in the cheap place opposite and sit in the george's beer garden between them) which managed to hit 4 quid (not hit ????) for peroni, so it's catching in them parts.

scor46 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks Harry

>

> Just a small update on the campaign. We have

> employed a publis affairs company to head the

> cause and their publicity machine will hit the

> National media early summer. Watch this space,

> it's getting very, very hot......

I see the parliamentary campainging has kicked off already:

EDM 1328

EDM 1330

Seems you have a friend in Greg Mulholland.

If I'd known this is what you were planning I could have pointed you in the right direction. Hope the agency you got is a good'un. It'll be a tough game.

I am a local licensee. Our area manager told us that an increase of 30p per pint on average would not cover the recent budget and brewery prices increases. In this part of Nunhead, near the south end of the Rye, we felt that charging ?3.05 for a pint of Guinness, for example, was more than the market would stand. We were obliged to stick to 10p a pint extra and hopefully retain our customers. This on top of the smoking ban (and yes, I dislike second hand smoke as well) will accelerate the closure of proper pubs, as opposed to restaurants masquerading as pubs who seem to get away with central London prices.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> The CPT charged 10p more on a pint than in other pubs up by Westminster...

They put everything up by 10p a while ago, but still in line with other local places (EDT / Magdalla and the like), and cheaper than the Bishop! And it still makes f**k all money!

lager is very expensive here I agree, but spirits are even worse. When I moved over here I had to take up lager drinking instead of vodka and hence the beerbelly, as I was sick paying through the nose for tiny measures of water. (I find a lot of cental london bars water their vodka down).

I love it when I go to visit a relative who lives in deep dark co derry and I buy a round and get change from a tenner. Has lock ins too. Although lock ins are a seriously bad idea.

What is normal for a measure of vodka? I know the CPT charge ?1.90, but no idea if that's good, bad or average.

I have a habit of starting Friday evenings off with a triple vodka redbull, which ends up costing me ?7.80... What makes me laugh is that the redbull costs more than a shot of vodka!

• 1 month later...

Not quite beer related but...

Went to the EDT the other night first time went to the bar, bought a couple of drinks winced a little at the total for only two drinks but thought ah well I already knew I had expensive taste... a little later went up to the bar again and ordered the same drinks and was charged almost ?2.00 more! Now, as I'm sure some of u can gather I'm not one to keep quiet about such things and so questioned the bar man. I was told that maybe it was because it couldve been a different wine. Surely if u ask for a glass of white without expressing a particular type u get the house and that should always be the same price? He also asked whether it was him that served me b4 - it was. In the end I ended up paying 5p less than the first round.

I'm not having a moan as such about the EDT more highlighting the fact one should keep a close eye on prices.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> no no my point is that the same round came to more

> than the previous. Twas only through me pointing

> it out to the barman that I got it down to a lower

> rate.

>

> 5p off... I need to work on my haggling skills! :p

KK as far as I can see, you were asked for two quid more the second time you went to the jump. After challenging it you ended up being charged 5 pee less than the first round. As I said the prices are programmed into the till, or so I thought. My stitch-up the punter notion remains on the table.

• 6 months later...

bit of a hack piece that tho isn't it PGC? And the comments posted by people afterwards are scary too

Pubs are in decline - but for many more reasons than the article cares to show. People are a lot better off than they used to be - a pub was an escape hatch. these days more people are happier with the home comforts - it's not Labour, the Tories or Europe.. it's (as ever) people themselves