Getting away from it all for holiday- long haul suggestions?

Minitoots

We want to get a long way away from the madness of the UK for a couple of weeks with our 21 yr old son some time between 19th July - 20th August, - we'd thought about travelling around Cuba or Vietnam, but it looks as though it's not the best time to go either, weather-wise with hurricane/typhoon seasons looming. Ideally, we are looking for somewhere tropical and interesting towns/cities with a lot of character which is why Cuba would have fitted the bill perfectly. We can't go at another time so if anyone has any suggestions of places that would be great. We like to avoid the package holiday resorts and get a bit off the beaten track and to stick to a moderate budget, staying in self catering or local hotels....

Go to the east coast of Thailand (not Phuket side) - we went in July and the weather was great (east coast has wet/windy weather this time of year) - great hotels, excellent food, loads of things to do, places to visit - fly to Bangkok, stay a couple of nights, then move on.....

We travelled in Vietnam for two months (June and July) back in 2013 and it was fine - lovely weather, in fact. We went onto Cambodia and Laos for Aug and early Sep and the rain really only came for the last few weeks.

Thoroughly recommend Vietnam - truly lovely people (well, the ones that aren't trying to sell you something!) and the north around Sapa is some of the most beautiful country I've seen - and I've travelled to about 50 countries. And I recommend you jump over to Angkor Wat in Cambodia as well - fascinating place!

Cuba is also amazing... and should be visited soon before the Americans spoil it.

I've recently returned from an amazing holiday in Sri Lanka. It's a truely beautiful country, the food was amazing and the people were kind and welcoming. it's less developed than Thailand, which is becoming quite package resorty on the islands.

We didn't stay in any of the larger towns but had we stayed longer we would have visited Galle in the south which has a Dutch colonial past and Kandy in the Hill Country which is where the tea plantations are situated.

Instead we spent our time in the Cultural Triangle where you could easily spend up to a week exploring the major historical sites of Sigiriya (Lion Rock) and the ancient ruined cities of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa, we managed a whistlestop tour most of the major sites in 3 days which was pretty full on but worth it even in the insane heat and humidity - we went at the end of April so it shouldn't be as bad in July.

iAt this time of year the beaches on the east coast should be free of the Yala monsoon which affects the west coast around this time. The east is still developing but the bonus is that the beaches are relatively free of sprawling concrete resorts but that will soon change so go now!

feel free to PM me for more details.