Forum Sponsors

www.facebook.com/dulwichecogardening

Your Local Personal Trainer

www.bramly.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageAre pigeons getting smarter ?
Posted by TheArtfulDogger April 29, 05:02PM

Today, whilst making a cuppa, I stood and watched a pigeon fly up to a bird feeder, pull off a vertical twist in mid air and whilst slowly flapping its wings like a giant humming bird proceed to hover next to the feeder and start eating out of it. At the same time other pigeons were waiting underneath for spillage.

I thought the squirrels were supposed to be the smart ones but I suspect they have been training other animals as well.

Has anyone else seen this in their garden ?

Sadly I wasn't quick enough to capture it on film

messageRe: Are pigeons getting smarter ?
Posted by TheCat April 29, 06:17PM

Perhaps an excuse as to why TheCat has never caught one.....

Pigeons are considered to be one of the most intelligent birds on the planet and able to undertake tasks previously thought to be the sole preserve of humans and primates. The pigeon has also been found to pass the ‘mirror test’ (being able to recognise its reflection in a mirror) and is one of only 6 species, and the only non-mammal, that has this ability. The pigeon can also recognise all 26 letters of the English language as well as being able to conceptualise. In scientific tests pigeons have been found to be able to differentiate between photographs and even differentiate between two different human beings in a photograph when rewarded with food for doing so.

[www.urbanwildlifesociety.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was april 29, 06:20pm by TheCat.

Posted by peckham_ryu May 01, 12:30PM

Yet they still can’t get chewing gum off their own feet. I wonder if we could train them?

Posted by Davis May 01, 12:36PM

It could be the case pigeons have always been what you consider to be smart but you never noticed.

Posted by hkj May 01, 06:17PM

Posted by TheArtfulDogger May 02, 09:21AM

peckham_ryu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yet they still can’t get chewing gum off their own
> feet. I wonder if we could train them?

Or maybe they can train us not to leave chewing gum on the pavement

Posted by malumbu May 02, 10:59AM

Wood pigeons are interesting and try various ways in getting food out of the feeders not designed for them. They now seem to have made a home on the birdbath, not so clever as they crap in it. Feral pigeons are vermin so I will leave that one there. Collared doves make occasional appearances. Apparently very rare 100 years ago. Will link to the naturewatch thread on the ED site.

Posted by Sue May 02, 09:49PM

I also have a pigeon who comes to the garden and goes through contortions to eat from the bird feeders.

He has cracked the suet balls, hasn't managed the seeds yet smiling smiley

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum