Recycling daily disposable contact lenses

siousxiesue

You can recycle your lenses and packaging through Terracycle: https://www.terracycle.com/en-GB/brigades/

I?m about to send my first box to them, you just download a free shipping label and take it to a drop off point. They also have a network of public drop off points in opticians. Terracycle have a number of other ?extra? recycling schemes you can sign up for at home. Just to say, I don?t work for them, I?m just keen to recycle as much as I can and spread the word to others if it?s helpful.

Thank you so much!

I will deffo do this now!

ETA: I had no idea about the other schemes either. You might want to start another thread as most people won't read this one if they don't use daily lenses, I guess?

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I read it and I wear hard gas permeable lenses. I

> keep mine very clean and they last a year or more.

> Yes I get my eyes checked regularly and have done

> this since 1978!

I wore gas permeable lenses for years.

I resisted single use lenses on cost grounds.

I wish I had changed years ago. They are a revelation :)

They aren't actually as expensive as I imagined when you take into account that they don't need any cleaning or other liquids, and they are a lot more convenient. Also whatever brand you use, you can get it a lot cheaper online (exactly the same prescription, obviously).

However, now I am retired I do wear glasses more, especially as they have those lenses that go dark in the sun so you don't need to keep taking sunglasses on and off!

I have my eyes checked yearly (for contact lens purposes) at the Institute of Optometry (between the Elephant and Borough).

you can actually reuse daily lenses, you just need to take care of them and use a decent storage/cleaning fluid, and before anyone jumps down my throat, i get my eyes regularly checked and have been reusing dailies for at least 20 years with no problems...I just use them until they split (which can be many months).

My contact lens person would not be happy if I did that! And she doesn't stand to make any money from my using the lenses more than once, as I buy them elsewhere!

ETA: But I see one of the major advantages of single use lenses as being that you don't have to mess about with cleaning them and keeping them sterile.

Otherwise you may as well just have gas permeable lenses in the first place!

• 2 weeks later...