East Dulwich - Best Pub Crawl

georgia

Had friend from Plymouth staying over the weekend and spent Saturday like this:

Lunch at The Dog (one bottle of wine) - EDT (2nd bottle of wine) - Home to change - Magdala - Franklins - Liquorice - Inside 72 - The Drum (met Jah Lush, apologies for being drunk) - EDT (again) - The Bishop - Home

Who needs to go anywhere else in London?! My friend loved it. Good old East Dulwich.

Just read that Georgia and my immediate feeling was jealousy. Next time we have a babysitter for longer than 2 hours I may copy your exact route- though I might add Black Cherry in somewhere for a cocktail.

Good work Georgia

Sometimes I think I get a bit too proud of this place and then a frind comes to visit, something similar happens and they spend all of Sunday raving about the place. Happened more than once

And not one single place has a toilet attendant which is a big improvement on most other places in London I might add (to introduce a bugbear of mine)

Ah yes the Black Cherry - we did miss a few places out but yes their cocktails are good but not sure we could have managed many of those by then.

Also hate toilet attendants - I expect to be able to wipe my hands after washing them without feeling like I have to pay for the priveledge...

inside 72 until the bad prog rock starts getting airplay from about 10PM, thenm a random medley of wherever will let us in until we are kicked out and we have to go and "tag" some redeveloped shop front with our cunningly concealed spray cans and marker pens

A while back I went to meet a friend of mine at the ED station and as he hadn?t been to the area for a while we were going to pop into all the bars between the station and my house for a swift half. We decided they had better be halves as I live up near the library so there are quite a lot of pubs on the way.

The general idea was: The Vale, EDT, Black Cherry, Bishop, the Lord Palmeston, The Uplands, The Crystal Palace Tavern, Franklins, The Magdala and then perhaps even into the Plough if we felt brave enough.

The tone for the day was set at The Vale when after asking my mate for a half of weak larger I was presented with a full pint of Stella, brimming with potential trouble.

Tequila got involved at the Bishop.

It was still mid-afternoon.

We soldiered on. There was a lot of laughing involved as I recall.

We completely lost each other en route from the CPT to Franklins. This was probably a good thing. By this stage the two of us trying to enter Franklins through that ridiculously tight entrance packed with its shopping bag draped push-chairs would probably have ended up in some kind of, slapstick, Peter Sellers type accident, spilling babies, lattes and organic welsh rarebit on ciabatta all over the place.

Anyway we randomly found each other again at Caf? El Paso. Something to do with great/drunk minds thinking alike. Or just the irresistible draw of burritos to the inebriated stomach.

There is something about Mexican food that sobers you up especially if you load it with chilli. After a meal which included beers and tequila we were fixed up good and proper enough to head to The Magdala for a few before calling it a night.

Morals of the story:

Pub crawls in East Dulwich are fun.

Tequila in the afternoon doesn?t necessarily kill you.

Don?t go to Franklins if you are too smashed.

Mexican food is good for you!

citizenED Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> surely, start at Harvester for a couple, then to

> the Plough, then finish off at the Castle.

>

> citizen

>

> Damn, i forgot, the Plough is in rehab.

when i was a poor staff nurse my crawl used to start at the harvester for the cheap tea-time specials for a bit of lining and then it was all down hill from there.literally.