2019 Reception Starters - Advice and Support

Hi,

Would love to hear from other parents and carers whose children will be starting Reception in ED in Sept 2019. Can't believe we can start the application process so soon! Would love to hear thoughts about different schools and teaching styles, tips and tricks from those with children starting this year, etc. We're mainly looking at Goodrich, Heber, Harris and DVIS, as I'm sure many are, but open to other options... love a school with a sense of community, collaboration, and open to new ideas, plus a responsiveness to individuals' needs... as much as can happen in this era of cuts.

Thanks!

We will be applying for Reception 2019 for our second child. His older brother is already at DVIS, where he is very happy so hoping it will be fairly straightforward with sibling priority. DVIS was a bit of a long shot for us and we were also impressed with Goodrich and Heber. If you have any specific questions about DVIS, give me a shout!

Thanks so much for responding... DVIS is idyllic, but my main reservation is that it's not close enough to where we live that the bulk of the neighbour kids would be going, and also that it apparently ends after Year Two. What primary schools do the DVIS children tend to empty out into?

I was a bit concerned about that - we are on the ED side, but actually there?s a fair few on this side of LL. A lot more kids are on the village side but the park seems to draw everyone together!

The vast majority of the kids go onto Dulwich Hamlet I believe. Another concern of mine was that bc we were on the edge of catchment area we run the risk of not getting in there. My understanding is that about 98% go on to Hamlet so decided to take the risk. We?ll find out next year how that works out! I?m not sure what the alternative would be - I assume when we apply, we?ll put the other local ones down as subsequent choices and hope that if we didn?t get into Hamlet there might be a year 3 place elsewhere.

We love DVIS, the only downside I would highlight is the length of school run - it?s not too bad in theory but because we have younger kids elsewhere, the door to door drop off and pick up is quite lengthy!

I am also looking at schools Lolamaxx, and having been to DVIS myself, would love to send my son there in 2019 from East Dulwich. Carebear - may I ask how far away you live from DVIS? I'm on the Dulwich side of Lordship Lane, 1 km as the crow flies from the Lake Building, and keeping my fingers crossed! I'm also looking at Harris and Heber, St John's and St Clements, and Judith Kerr. Any insights from people who have been through this process would be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Our children go to Goose Green and are really happy there. They are in years 1 and 3 and have both been there since nursery. The school, like most, hasn't been without its ups and downs but the new Headteacher (Simon Wattam) is fantastic and the school's results have shot up since he's been on board. The school joined Communitas Education Trust last year and is now in a small, nurturing trust together with John Donne, an outstanding school in Peckham. Mr Wattam moved from John Donne to Goose Green upon formation of the trust.

The school has always been a place where our children feel happy and safe and they have both thrived. We have never encountered any form of bullying. The sense of community is fantastic and the school has an active PTA and numerous great events, including our infamous annual carnival on the green. Unlike many schools, we still have dedicated music and art teachers and the school has a fantastic array of opportunities in this area.

Finally, in you're interested in this sort of thing, check out what the school has been up to with its air quality intiatives, including our pioneering "green screen" - https://www.goosegreenprimaryschool.org/school-information/air-quality-initiatives

Do pop along to one of the open days. The next one is on the 9th October.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My daughter goes to Goose Green and we live in East Dulwich. She?s in Year 1 and she is very happy and thriving. We love the school & so does she. Reception was fantastic, loveliest teachers & T.As, and she?s now

loving Yr 1. We almost didnt go to an open day at Goose Green but at the last minute we did and I can?t tell you how glad I am that we did. We new instantly it was the school for us. Warm, diverse, mukti cultural, passionate, creative, friendly, a great size (only 2 form entry) and a real sense of community. We love that we can?t pop to the shop without running into a new friend, and a 5 minute school run is a big bonus, especially when you are doing it 10 times a week, and in the depths of winter!

You must go with your gut when choosing schools, but do see them all, and try to get opinions of parents with children AT the schools, rather than those without. We almost missed out on our lovely school based on that..!

All the best in your application : )