Magic Circle - a child-led outdoor play group

The Magic Circle is an outdoor, child-led play group held in the log circle near the Lido car park in Brockwell Park. You won't find any soft play equipment, toys or structured activities but you will find free range children hopping along logs or poking sticks in the mud. Sometimes the children lead us outside of the log circle to some of the nearby natural features of the park, like the wood chip 'mountain', the 'jungle' area by the miniature railway or just to jump puddles or watch a digger. The group is a free drop-in session, open to children of all ages, from babes in arms to toddlers, pre-schoolers and home schooled children, which once again meets on Wednesday mornings (not Tuesdays, as it has done in recent months) during term time and holidays, at 10.30am or thereabouts in the log circle, unless it is very wet (when bitterly cold we have also been known to retreat to the Lido Cafe for hot chocolate). There is no fixed end time, people are free to come and go as they please and the group tends to last until around or shortly after lunchtime. Bring some snacks, water and a picnic rug and enjoy the chance to sit and chat to other parents whilst your child benefits from unstructured play in the fresh air with children of different ages. The logs themselves not only provide a natural perimeter for the group but are also wonderful play props, becoming trains, rockets, diggers or refuge from shark infested waters, and such natural environments help in the development of children's balance, strength, spatial awareness and co-ordination. Like all play groups, each parent is responsible for their own child at all times, although the topography of the area lends itself well to letting the children roam outside of the circle whilst still remaining in sight of the adults.

We also have another outdoor play session in the Nature Conservation Area at Myatt's Fields Park on Tuesdays from 10.30am. For information on these events and others organised by the Natural Childhood initiative please visit the website http://www.naturalchildhood.co.uk/about-us/what-we-do/. Created by parents, for parents, Natural Childhood provides information and a social hub for families to get together for natural, child-led play and home schooling events in the Dulwich area. Please do get in touch if you have any questions or contact me, Fiona, on 07813 123 535 if you want to locate the group should we have wandered away from the Circle.

Thank you Clare, I completely agree - giving the children the space and scope to run wild also gives the mothers more chance than usual to relax and chat; because the log circle is not a playground with climbing equipment there aren't any particular safety issues other than the need for common sense, so mothers can actually sit down for once rather than hovering for fear of falls.

Another Magic Circle fan here! Hoping to come this week as it's been a little while since we were able to make it and my 19 month old loves the space especially the chippings section just outside, perfect mix of freedom to roam and safe semi-enclosed area. Fab group of mums too :)

Fi from West Dulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello Damzel, sorry the day doesn't work for you

> although if you like the sound of this you may

> want to try Nature Play in Dulwich Woods on

> Thursday mornings, it shares the same ethos and

> many of the same people from the Magic Circle go

> to it:

> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nature-Play-South-Ea

> st-London/207738685928324

Thanks! That looks perfect

Oh well done for finding it Damzel, I realised afterwards that the link didn't work but if anyone else is reading it, look on Facebook for Nature Play South East London. I won't be there this week but we ordinarily go religiously, and the usual crowd are very, very nice so I/we hope to meet you there soon perhaps.

Hello Echo, it would be great to have you along. I hadn't even heard of Myatt's Fields until now but have found a website and it looks like a really lovely space, I'm sure that you/we could do something similar there. Perhaps it is easiest if you come along to the Magic Circle in Brockwell Park and we can chat about it? If you let me know in advance if you are definitely coming I'll make sure I am there and look out for you.

echo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> sounds great, I'll try to start coming after

> Easter.

>

> Do you think a simular group could be started in

> Myatts Fields?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
A quick update to say that there is a new weekly schedule of Natural Childhood activities as the group grows, which sees the Magic Circle in Brockwell Parl moved to its original day of Wednesday in order to fit in a new session in the nature reserve at Myatt's Fields. Please see the website http://www.naturalchildhood.co.uk/about-us/what-we-do/ to find out what is going on and where and join the facebook group http://www.facebook.com/groups/naturalchildhood/ to receive updates on any changes to dates or times. Thank you.