We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://avakitchens.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
messagesafest masks to protect ourselves against covid??
Posted by TwinkleToes September 03, 07:15PM

I know the main idea of wearing masks is to stop passing germs on to others and most people wear the most basic ones but which are the best ones for protecting ourselves against getting Covid which are available to the general public?

messageRe: safest masks to protect ourselves against covid??
Posted by Clutterqueen September 03, 10:10PM

It's a minefield out there regarding masks but the Daily Mail newspaper had a good article a couple of days ago. Sorry I can't do links as only read a hard copy.

Posted by Nigello September 04, 12:17PM

[www.theguardian.com]

Remember that masks help, especially these, but all face coverings donít magic the virus away completely. Staying away from others and washing hands (or never ever putting fingers to mouth, eyes, nostrils, ear holes) would work most effectively. Wash your face covering or mask (woven ó cotton, linen, etc.) and dispose effectively and safe,6 of the non-woven ones after a dayís use.
Being in a closed, poorly ventilated space at close quarters with others, all or mostly unmasked, is a good way of increasing your chance of getting infected.
Iím not a medic so Iím using common sense and the knowledge I have.

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher September 04, 02:54PM

Here is the Daily Mail article, quite useful for everyday COVID use:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

If you want to scare yourself silly then here is an article from (a relatively sane) US prepper site which covers heavyweight respirators, etc. Their research seems pretty good:

[theprepared.com]

Posted by Penguin68 September 04, 04:30PM

which are the best ones for protecting ourselves against getting Covid which are available to the general public?

The ones being worn by people in your vicinity. You are less likely to inhale Covid-19 particles than you are to transfer them to you on your hands - hence the emphasis on hand washing. Doctors and nurses in full PPE were still catching the virus - suggesting that even the best PPE may not be sufficient. Social distancing, hand-washing and others wearing masks (as well as you, for them) are the 'best' methods. Staying 2 metres from people indoors, and ensuring if you can that there is good ventilation (but autumn and winter are close upon us) is your best defence.

Doctors and nurses even with PPE couldn't social distance with their patients - and wards are generally poorly ventilated (air conditioning is no good for this).

Posted by Otto2 September 04, 04:33PM

The World Economic Forum link below features a study of different mask materials and their effectiveness. Surprisingly, "vacuum cleaner bag" is up there with the best. I bought some cheaper ones to cut up and use as filters in cotton masks (in the pocket).

[www.weforum.org]

Posted by lameduck September 09, 05:20PM

I am in favour of masks, and in fact double up with scarf over top.
but they buy these masks, and only token wear them
either balance them on chin or just cover mouth,
leaving nose completely uncovered.
I dont think we stand a chance with this selfish attitude
whatever decent mask we buy

Posted by pinkladybird September 25, 09:50PM

As far as I know, masks labeled N95 are probably the best type available to the public. They filter 95% of particles down to 0.3 microns (small enough to include viral aerosol particles). Don't use a mask with an exhalation valve as your breath comes out unfiltered and you do not protect anyone else. I've just been wearing disposable N95 dust masks.

For self-protection, seal is important. Some people's masks look quite loose. The gaps on the sides of the nose are points where air can get in, so masks with metal strips over the nose are good or a mask which comes high up. You can buy bags of nose strips on Amazon that can be sewn onto fabric masks if they don't have them. You'll probably never get a perfect seal, but personally I like to see the mask move in and out when I breath. I think this indicates that not much unfiltered air is being sucked in. Also, I check how much the smell of perfume spray is blocked.

I've just read that one test is to try and blow out a lighted match - it shouldn't be easy.

Posted by NewWave September 25, 10:45PM

lameduck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am in favour of masks, and in fact double up
> with scarf over top.
> but they buy these masks, and only token wear
> them
> either balance them on chin or just cover mouth,
> leaving nose completely uncovered.
> I dont think we stand a chance with this selfish
> attitude
> whatever decent mask we buy

yup totally agree!
I'm so over people just either not wearing them on public transport and in shops or just wearing them with their noses sticking out or on their chins.
people really do need to grow up and take responsibility for all our sakes.

Posted by Naiada September 28, 03:43PM

I've read through all the above comments - if anyone has a link to any online site selling reusable N99 + N95 masks that would be helpful as I can only find disposable ones ....

Posted by pinkladybird Yesterday, 01:09AM

Naiada Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've read through all the above comments - if
> anyone has a link to any online site selling
> reusable N99 + N95 masks that would be helpful as
> I can only find disposable ones ....

I was looking for the same thing. But it seems N95/N99 filters are not available for reusable masks.

You can get fabric reusable masks with pockets to insert filters - but the only available filters are labelled PM2.5. I assume they are not quite as effective (2.5 microns is quite a bit larger than the 0.3 microns N95 masks are able to block) however, I believe they still give a reasonable degree of protection.

I'm afraid I don't have any reccomendations as I am reusing N95 dust masks while I am deciding which reusable one to get myself. But while looking around I came across these two which both have built in filters (filtering >90% of 3 micron particles):

[www.vistaprint.co.uk]
[www.boobalou.co.uk]

They are not perfect as I believe virus aerosol particles can go down to 1 micron in size. But I think that is why it is important for everyone to wear masks. It is easier to stop the particles when they are still large which is just after they have left someones mouth, than later on when they have broken down and got smaller.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum